So what's the scam here?

Page 2 of 2
wrote in message
On Mar 13, 10:26 am, "John Grossbohlin"

In this case there clearly are red flags that there may be a problem and the situation should be avoided. That isn't always the case... There has always been and will continue to be risk associated with "private transactions." As such, a risk assessment should be a prerequisite to meeting someone to complete any such transaction.
I've had enough suspect responses to CL ads over the years to be wary... I've also had contact with literally hundreds of felons over the years and know that identifying an individual's true intent is not a clear cut endeavor. Having company in the form of other people and/or defensive arms is not an issue of wanting to play cowboy or Dirty Harry... it's an issue of self preservation if things go bad despite your best efforts. Common sense only gets you so far sometimes.
I know people who will not try to defend themselves... one woman whom suffered two forcible rapes accepts the fact that she freezes and a gun would be useless to her. I know other rape victims whom had no means to protect themselves but wish they did at the time--in addition to the rapes they suffered beatings and in one case a beating and pregnancy. I knew people who are now dead as things went bad when they made mistakes or otherwise were not prepared. One was an elementary school teacher neighbor in her own home... she investigated a noise in her attached garage and was shot by an intruder. Another was in the wrong place at the wrong time on the street and became a kidnap/robbery/murder victim... neither stranger murder was ever solved.
How self preservation is undertaken is up to the individual... After having bad experiences some, such as the double rape victim, use the avoidance method and stay home with the doors locked. Others plan for worst case scenarios and pray they never need to defend themselves. Others are relatively oblivious.
In the case of this CL saw ad... I'd pass as it doesn't pass the risk snif test. In other cases flakey people and/or non-experts sell things and they are relatively clueless about what they have (estates and spouses are good for that). Some sellers are equally worried about being robbed and will not meet at their homes. In these kinds of cases seemingly odd behaviors may be harmless but you never really know until the transaction is over... In general you need to make your best judgment, hope for the best, and be prepared if it goes bad.
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:59:32 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep, sometimes the best weapon one has is the good sense to avoid a bad situation. Not that I always take my own advise.
In the years that I raised and sold dogs, I was always amazed at the amount of people that would send a check upfront with no real guarantee of anything, other than my word that they would get their puppy. Only once in ten years did anyone ask for a reference.
I never purchased dogs that way, when I needed new blood lines, I would show up in person to see the dog and hand over the cash, sometimes as far away as Indiana.
basilisk
On 3/13/2013 8:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Please don't start anything while I'm in Indianapolis now ... I'll be there from Friday AM until Sunday AM and don't want to have to duck. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

not untilMay.
Bill

Karl, if you have time to drop in and chat a bit, ping me offline: doug at milmac dot com.
On 3/13/2013 9:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

We lived north of there, near 86th and Michigan Road. The fact that he wanted to meet in that area would be more than enough to drop that saw. In my opinion that area has been going down hill for some time, and for us is definitely a pass through area where you do not stop.

What difference could that make? I don't even bother with ads without phone numbers anymore. Actually, I don't even bother much with Craigslist anymore.
Cincinnati is flake/scammer/spammer/dealers posing as owners city, and there's no way Craigslist could possibly police all the nitwits unless they start charging. -----
- gpsman
On 03/13/2013 12:12 PM, gpsman wrote:

That's funny, because I don't give my phone number out to anyone on craigslist, nor do I call anyone. If a person is unable to compose a proper message to communicate with me, they just aren't worth my time.
Even worse are the texting idiots, who are unable to compose any response other than "TEXT ME DUDE 541-555-1234". Those idiots don't even deserve a response.
Jon
On 3/13/13 4:06 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

I have a throw-away prepay cell phone that I activated on the PagePlus Cellular MVNO network for craigslist and similar contact. I bought the phone for $15 on Ebay and PagePlus's $10 Standard Plan offers 100 minutes good for 120 days. You need to refill before the minutes expire and unused ones roll over to the next 120 day period. For $2.50 a month, you don't have to give out your real numbers.
I make cell phone number trading mandatory at the point a meet-up time and meeting is established. That way, if he's late, you can call him-- or he can call you if he's running late.
--
The second amendment wasn't written so we could go hunting. It was
written so we could shoot at the government if it was ever taken over by
On 03/13/2013 02:15 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:

If I was engaged in a business that relied on using Craigslist I would probably do something like this, but I am not. So for me, filtering out the illiterate and/or impatient individuals from my interactions keeps my Craigslist experience a positive one.
Jon
On 3/13/2013 4:15 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:

Look into Google Voice. Set up a phone number in ANY area code you wish (including your own<g>) and it will act as a filter. Phone messages are recorded, transcribed and shipped to you anonymously. You can also listen in on the call being left and pick up if you wish.
I use it almost exclusively for Craigslist dealing. It's free.

Been using a Google Voice phone number for online use for a number of years. Very handy.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 3/13/2013 4:15 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:

On 03/13/2013 06:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

[snip]
Craigslist if full of idiots who have no concept of basic human interaction and protocol. In a situation like the one you presented, I just write it off as an idiot, and cease wasting my time.
Are they idiots or scammers? I don't know, and I don't care, it just isn't worth my time to find out.
As an aside, I recently asked a few laptop sellers on craigslist some questions. A lot of them don't include the model number, and when you ask them for this information, it does like this:
Me: What model of laptop is this? Seller: It is a Dell Latitude
This is with a laptop that is already described as being a Dell Latitude, and it goes on and on like this.
The bottom line is that unless it is an item worth dealing with an idiot over, cut your losses and move on; life is too short.
Jon
stolen?