So this is how it's supposed to be??

I finally decided to upgrade some tools. Got rid of the Supersaw for a Unisaw and got rid of the Delta deluxe jointer for a Griz 8" model. The deluxe jointer never did work right and I always thought I was doing something wrong. Finally got the Griz working last night and ran an old warped piece of poplar through. The board came out so flat that there was a suction when I picked it up off the outfeed table. When I sit it down on the outfeed table it floats on a cushion of air for a split second before settling. What a difference good equipment makes.
I second that emotion! I went from a Crapsman contractor's TS to a Unisaw and purchased all the other goodies I've wanted to have a decently equipped shop. I was taught at a young age to use the right tool for the job. While some guys may be able to turn out works of art with a penknife, I'll stick with my somewhat well-equipped shop. :)
David
Ron wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

Well, it ain't really normal for things to happen that easily, so if you see little creatures with wings and halo's ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

I got the G1018HW. I thought about the G0500 b/c of the 4 knives and longer bed. The knives are nice but the longer bed is accomplished by bolting an extender to the end of the bed. Didn't think that was particularly effective.
I'm having a big problem with the fence so I haven't edge jointed yet. It looks like they stopped grinding the bottom of the fence for about 3 inches near the center such that the bottom of the fence is in plane except for 3" which is about 3/32" lower. That causes the fence to ride on the bed instead of above it and scratches the bed. I got a replacement today and still the same prob. I sent pictures to Griz and now I'm waiting to hear back from them. Once this is cleared up it'll be a great jointer.