so a dummy buys a ras...

Page 5 of 5

I have and use a RAS. My only discomfort is that work other than cutting, e.g., molding, rabitting etc., if the work shifts it will shift into the cutter and get gouged. Doing the same operation on a Table Saw, if the work shifts, you cut less than you had intended and can take a second pass. Otherwise, I like and use RAS.
Ivan Vegvary

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:26:21 GMT, Adam

Keep your thumb outta the way, and you should be fine. :)

regards
good
want
That's the one. Too many stupid people put their hand where the blade's going.
Mine's been with me thirty years - Montgomery Ward - and I didn't get it new. You check the sets prior to cutting, just as you do your table saw, and it shouldn't be a problem. Every RAS is capable of holding a setting, the rub is how long.
If God had meant for us to rip on a RAS, he'd never have given us the tablesaw.
Been using mine painlessly for 30+ years! With a long table, it rips far more easily than a TS, except for very small stuff. I usually stop the cut when I get near the end and go around to the outfeed side to pull the final bit through. When I can, I get a wife or kid to do the final pull. I've done lots of 8-20 ft rips in rough 2X lumber with no problem. When I was building my house, the saw was far from the power source, so I put it on 240V and fed it with 12ga Romex to prevent sag. Worked fine. If you have serious heavy ripping to do, get a 20-24 tooth blade. That said, I DO NOT like the molding head rig, although I have used it with success. Wilson

yup
I rest my case.
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:26:21 GMT, Adam

\ Do a search on DeCristiforo and Radial Arm Saw. I think his RAS book is something like "The Magic of your Radial Arm Saw" or similar. It is a pretty good book although like all the other RAS books I have seen says nothing about the Craftsman model. I think his is written around a DeWalt RAS. I like DeCristiforo's style but that may be because THE book on my Shopsmith was written by him.
Dave Hall
Such useless dribble! Join us an learn how:
Rumpty

(psst......I know it's a repeated post)
--
Rumpty

I was hoping the second post was going to correct "dribble" to drivel.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I built my RAS into an 18 foot workbench. I can rip a 4x8 sheet with one hand (no I didn't chop the other off!) with the help of a couple of rollers. It is my primary saw.
Any saw is dangerous if you don't know how to use it.

I looked in my "How To Master The Radial Saw" by Walley Kunkel http://mrsawdust.com to check for correct spelling but I spilled coffee on that page and couldn't read it.
--
Rumpty

You'd have scored a hunnert points if you had said you dribbled coffee on that page...
Oh, well. Opportunity lost.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I'd like to see pictures!
Tom
Everything I did in my 1st 10 years of woodworking was done on the RAS and a wood lathe. I suspended my hobby for about 20 yrs. Started up about 8 yrs ago and bought a jointer, planer, table saw, bandsaw, belt sander, etc, etc. Having these in ADDITION to my RAS speeds things up considerably. The RAS did everything that these do but it took a lot longer because it was my equivalent of a Shopsmith.
I now use it for all my crosscut work over about 20 inches. Otherwise, I use my Unisaw. I don't cut at angles any more. It is accurate if you don't move it from square. If I want to cut 2 x 4's or similar sizes, I usually use my miter saw. It maintains accuracy when adjusted to angles. Tools are a real bargan today in comparison to 30 or more years ago.
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in wrote:

It looks like I'll need to use the RAS to build another bookcase, Thanks for the links to the literature folks, & thanks for the link to the forum Rumpty - I'll be spending alot of time going through the postings there.
I'm having trouble posting pictures Tom, I haven't done it in awhile and seem to have forgotten how Xnews works.
I spent some time today running through some scrap with the saw & trying out the blades that came with it. It's definitely a new experience but so was everything else at one point.
Again, to everyone who responded I appreciate it (I didn't mean to cause any disagreements with the original post, sorry about that).
Adam

This place thrives on that, Adam. We like it like that.... at least I do. That's how you extract subtle differences of opinion.