Snowing in Houson

Page 2 of 4
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I don't recall hearing anything on the news the past two days about the recent cold snap affecting the South Texas citrus crop. I doubt there was much of an impact as the temperature didn't seem to get below the mid twenties for very long, with little precipitation and no high winds. IIRC, in the past, with most citrus damaging freezes, the temperature were in the teens, with a lot of wind and precipitation that caused advective freezing.
Besides, anything that would have justified the MBA's raising citrus prices at the big corporate retail grocery stores would certainly have been repeatedly mentioned so that we would feel better about paying more today for oranges from Chile.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

:( Yeah, that's a bummer for sure...but surely do like the Valley Ruby Red grapefruit--there's none other that compares...
Grandparents (and now aunt/uncles/cousins) have place in the vicinity of Pharr --
Usually moisture helps rather than hurts -- dry cold is typically the more damaging. Often they'll mist (particularly at bloom time) to keep the water vapor in the air so it's more difficult for the air temperature to drop...at least that's what I was always told...I'm a wheat farmer and only know what I've picked up second hand. We're so far away we don't get down to where Mom's family is often...last I was in the area was in '98.
Anyway, thanks for the info...
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Not always. I specifically said advective freezing, where "moisture" plays a part, combined with wind. The resultant evaporative cooling below ambient temperature causes the damage to the grove. With this cold front there was a lot of cloud cover and it was apparently not cold enough, for long enough, to cause radiational freeze damage.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

OK, I'm not arguing, as I said, that's just what I was always told by kinfolk down there...they were probably keeping it simple for the wheat guy... :)
Dry cold is about the only kind we know up here and it's calm if it's under 25 mph...
But how do you get cooling <below> ambient this way?
Anyway, I was assuming the air temps weren't cold enough long enough for serious damage.
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Same thing that makes your cool your skin ... faster and cooler in a breeze, and faster and cooler with a breeze and low RH: heat of evaporation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

plays a

ambient
was a

enough,
Simple fact - can't get colder than the dewpoint. By misting, they raise, or at least hold the dewpoint. If they get significant evaporative cooling, they're not misting well enough. With a high RH, evaporation is nil.
"George" wrote in message

cooling,
Well George, you could trot your ass down to the Rio Grande Valley and become St George overnight by teaching them with that superior knowledge/attitude.
An even "simple(r) fact" - Your ignorance of advective freezing is showing. Have you ever tried to "mist" in a high wind?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

I was going to just drop off here, but I think there's a semantics problem...to check my memory I looked up advection -- "The horizontal transfer of air mass properties by the velocity field of the atmosphere". That's what I recalled. The effect of wind is to enhance heat transfer, yes, but it doesn't cause the cooled object temperature to drop below the air temperature...that's against thermo rules.
Sure, one can't keep all water in the air if it's blowing hard, but the same principle holds...even an ice layer over the tree can be an insulating blanket that helps if the air temperature isn't too cold too long and it's not at the most critical juncture...
Anyway, not to get too carried away...
OK, I went and did a google for "freeze protection orchard grove" and found a nice paper (http://www.smallfruits.org/Weather/frost_freeze.htm ) by The Southern Region Small Fruit Consortium that describes technology and principles very well...
They also define the "advective freezing" and I see it is simply the movement of sub-freezing temperatures into the area en masse...under those circumstances there isn't much one can do. That's a nomenclature not known to me previously and, as I thought, a semantics issue....we weren't discussing the same thing.
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Rules? ... tell that to somone who had an ill-timed, though relatively small, investment in a citrus grove operation back in the oil boom, flush, early 80's and wished like hell that mother nature would have indeed "played by the rules". :)
So as to know how those $$'s went away so fast way, I brushed up on the subject, but it has been a while.
In any event, evaporative cooling _can_ certainly "reduce the temperature of plant tissue to below the air temperature".
Suspecting that Texas A&M would have a current interest, and something to say, on the subject of protecting Texas' citrus groves from freezing, and so you don't take my word for it, here you go:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/cold/L2287.htm
(wish I'd had access to www back then!)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Indeed, the technique of spraying to ice the surface is used to prevent the more dangerous formation of ice crystals in the cells of the blossoms or fruit, where lower temperatures are required due to the depressed freezing point caused by solutes.

Just to add some fuel to the fire: I was *told* when touring the Ocean Spray facility in Plymouth, MA that the reason they flood the cranberry bogs in winter is to protect the plants. Apparently they can withstand being in frigid water or encased in ice, but frost will damage them.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

I've seen that in my pond too. Put the plants under water, no problem. Let them get covered with frozen spray, no problem, but a hard frost will lay waste to everything above the water line. Weird.

Testy , aren't we? Sounds like you jumped on your ass to try and save the world from something evil on the horizon.
I said nothing about the wind, that's your addition. Tilt away in ignorance, or look up what I told you. If the mist blows away, they're not/can't be misting well enough to hold the dewpoint. Simple enough even for you?
You quoted what I wrote, but obviously read what you wanted to see.

raise,
showing.
"George" wrote in message

the
I absolutely agree, George .. since it _is_ an essential component of what was under discussion, your "saying nothing about the wind" pointed _directly_ to your ignorance of the subject
> Tilt away in

That's because when you take away your superior-than-thou attitude, there was nothing left but ignorant conjecture.
"Misting" a citrus grove is a very complicated business if it is to be sucessful. What you "wrote" is not even in the ballpark.
Kiss my ass again, George.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Tom wrote:

Ayup. I was warned that if I voted for Kerry, there would be war, quagmire, deficits, and snow in Brownsville. Well I did anyway and guess what? ;-)     mahalo,     jo4hn
> The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for

IMHO, that sucks.
Here in SoCal, if you want snow, two (2) options.
1) Go to the mountains less than 50 miles away. 2) Get a truck and haul in 30-40 tons of the stuff.
The high today in Ohio where my mother lives reached a balmy 10F.
Here in SoCal, at the old boat yard, the sun was shining and the high temps were about 68F-70F, even if it was in the mid 40's at daybreak.
Not to shabby for the winter season, can even lay fiber glass in this weather.
Happy Holidays to every one who celebrates the season.
To those who don't, enjoy the time your way.
Lew

Had to run down to Sargent to drain the pipes and hit strong flurries on the way back. Had sleet/snow mix from the time we left the bay but by the time we hit Hwy. 6 it was really coming down. By the time we hit BW 8 the overpasses had quite an accumulation. Back around 1960 it had quit. Kids live near Dickinson and they are getting quite an accumulation. How 'bout that - a white Christmas in Houston???

Got a call from our son's Godparents in Corpus. It's snowing waaaaaaaaaaaaay down south.
Funny - here I am in Snow Country and it ain't.
Swingman wrote:

At noon yesterday (Friday 12/24) I was looking at nothing but grass on the lawn. By 8 PM there was 2' of snow.
Merry Christmas to all.