Snowing in Houson

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Merry Christmas ...

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman are you doing OK??????

This is the second post I have tried to chase you down on.

I repeat!!!!!!!

Reply to
Leon

LOL Hmmm ... wonder if Home Depot has any snow shovels?

Actually, I didn't see your post until after my post. All the neighborhood kids are out trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. Might be another

16 years before they get the chance again.

Amazing what a few snow flurries on the Gulf Coast will do to everyone's attitude ... even the corner neighbors are being nice this morning.

Merry Christmas, Leon!

Reply to
Swingman

I lived there during the Great Christmas Freeze in 1983. Or 1984. One of those years. There was lots of damage from broken copper pipes and exploding electric water heaters.

There's nothing uglier than a palm tree that's died from freeze. Well, excpet maybe LOT'S of dead palm trees.

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I have lived in Houston since 1974. I remember that freeze. I was the Service Sales Manager for an Olds dealer and there were hundreds of cars with broken radiators being hauled in.

Reply to
Leon

Down here in balmy Galveston County, there were 3 small specs of sleet so far. I guess we'll go to the beach for some sunbathing. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Glad to have sent it on... :)

Had from 2 to 4" up here and it was -2 F last night...all the way to 20 already today though! Will be near 60 Saturday again...ah, consistency on the High Plains... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Been living in Houston for 14+ years now, I will finally have a chance to use that tobaggon I brought from Toronto, oh wait you need hills ... darn!

Merry Christmas all Steve

Reply to
Stephen Pinn

Well, at the moment I appreciate it more than you realize. ;>)

Gumbo on Christmas is a family tradition and, since it's always better the next day, with the expected 24F tonight I'll be able 'refrigerate' it out on the back porch tonight without having to pack the big pot in ice overnight.

We're looking for 70 by Tuesday ... sounds downright warm at the moment.

Merry Christmas ...

Reply to
Swingman

Want a hill in Houston? ... used to be on Jackson just off Allen Parkway going NW. Haven't been there in years, but, depending upon which way you were headed, the road plunged down the side of a real "hill" back in the old days ... of course the developers have probably leveled it off by now.

It's either that, Miller Outdoor Theater in Herman Park, or the ship channel bridge. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

Nah, just a horse! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I have a vivid memory re: "hills in Houston" from when I lived there (1982-1987).

It had rained hard for a long time and the low areas had flooded (there's a shock). On the evening news, they were interviewing the flood victims down on the southeast side. One woman with that unmistakable east-texas drawl proclaimed: "This is the eighth time we've been flooded out. I feel like we belong to the flood-of-the-month club. What we NEED is a hill."

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Freaky. Coming back from the MILs I noticed a lot of northbound trucks with snow boogers on them. I gather it must be snowing down in TN or western NC somewhere.

Bleah.

Reply to
Silvan

Hell, it's still snowing in Houston at 9PM. The neighborhood kids made a snowman ...well, it's a small snowman, and they scrapped the snow off a dozen car trunks and hoods to do it, but it's cold and white and still sitting in the front yard.

Merry Christmas, Michael.

Reply to
Swingman

IMHO, that sucks.

Here in SoCal, if you want snow, two (2) options.

1) Go to the mountains less than 50 miles away. 2) Get a truck and haul in 30-40 tons of the stuff.

The high today in Ohio where my mother lives reached a balmy 10F.

Here in SoCal, at the old boat yard, the sun was shining and the high temps were about 68F-70F, even if it was in the mid 40's at daybreak.

Not to shabby for the winter season, can even lay fiber glass in this weather.

Happy Holidays to every one who celebrates the season.

To those who don't, enjoy the time your way.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Had to run down to Sargent to drain the pipes and hit strong flurries on the way back. Had sleet/snow mix from the time we left the bay but by the time we hit Hwy. 6 it was really coming down. By the time we hit BW 8 the overpasses had quite an accumulation. Back around 1960 it had quit. Kids live near Dickinson and they are getting quite an accumulation. How 'bout that - a white Christmas in Houston???

Reply to
Tom

Got a call from our son's Godparents in Corpus. It's snowing waaaaaaaaaaaaay down south.

Funny - here I am in Snow Country and it ain't.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Swingman wrote: ...

Hell, the weatherman here last night was so amazed he showed the radar showing it snowing in Bronwsville, for heaven's sake! I'm going to have to call my kinfolk down there and see if they can tell what it's doing to their citrus groves as yet... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Gee, we have a real problem now. Hell is freezing over...

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Brownsville recorded the first snowfall accumulation since 1895. The whole coastal area got snow.

Reply to
Tom