Snapping of screw heads

Page 2 of 2
If the pilot holes are the correct size, and deep enough, perhaps you are using soft brass screws?
David
Corey wrote:

Okay, I see enough comments about quality screws that I will upgrade. Probably will try out the McFeely's since several support/recommend.
But I'm continuing for now with the screws I already have (impatience - want to make some progress this weekend). I increased the pilot hole to 1/8" and I was 6 for 6 getting them in. Actually I was 7 for 7. I stripped one before it was all the way in, but was able to get it out and its replacement went in without issue. So yes, I definitely see the value in switching to the square head in the future.
Thanks for all of the advice.
Looks like you've solved it. For what it's worth, I hold the screw up to the light and pass drills in front of it till I get one a gnat's whisker smaller than the core of the screw thread. For brass screws in hardwood I was tought to put in a steel screw of the same size first to tap the hole. A bit of candle wax on the thread helps.
--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our

Bees wax works pretty well and is less likely to cause problems with any finishes.

Gooooooood... ;~) Now the Borg does have square drive screws, known as Deck Screws. These are OK for pine but still not strong enough for hard woods.

want
and
replacement
There certainly is a difference in screws, but as in all things there's more than one way to skin a cat. You've figured it out by going to a slightly larger pilot hole, and all is well. As long as your wood screw drove its way in (which is obviously did given a stripped screw head), you're good to go. Higher quality screws aren't going to add anything to the project. Good lesson in this - you don't always have to go to that higher quality solution - just figure out how to make what you have work properly and move on.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

want
and
replacement

very strange, unless you're using really cheaply made screws or way over-driving them.. I use mostly sheet rock screws, which are a "no-no" because they're brittle... rarely broken one, if anything, the head strips and I change the screw..
You are probably using either a drywall screw or a cheap wood screw. Get some deck screws or higher quality wood screws and the heads won't snap off.

Corey wrote:

1) Pilot hole size needs to vary with hardness of wood
2) A non-power screw driver will give much better control of the process.
The best way I know of running in a screw with power, speed and control is a screwdriver in a brace (as in brace-and-bit)
BugBear
First thought would be CRAPPY CHEAP screws. Second thought would be that you are not using a deep enough pilot hole and need to also engage the clutch on your cordless drill/driver
Many folks/resouces recommend a 1/8th in bit for pilot holes for #8 screws
For the crappy screws, junk 'em and then order some decent ones from McFeely
John