Smell of Smoke

Page 1 of 2
Was just round at next door's having a night of dinner and live music. Came out to see another couple to their car and grab some fresh air, opened my own door and then spotted smoke coming out of a car parked about 50yds away. Did a double take.. Phoned fire brigade. Went back onto street to wave down any traffic coming up from other end of road, wait for fire truck and to be generally nosy.
Not with a bang, nor with a whimper. It went Kerfooooom !!!
Twenty foot high flames but generally a fireball about ten feet across, It had taken a good hold before the fire boys arrived, and then the car alarm went off. A useful device, obviously.
Five minutes into fireball, the alarm died and the smell of burning came down the street like a wave. Yukk. Fire brigade arrived to squirt the blazing wreck. Fire goes out, obediently.
And then I realized I'd left my house door open.
Came back in, whole house stunk of burning rubber and plastic. Thin smoke everywhere.
Fans on full, doors open wide again. It seems to have cleared.
Odd thing was no other neighbours looked out. When we had the SWAT team in for the siege across the road early this year, EVERY person in the street was sat on their front wall or handing out cups of tea and bikkies to everybody else. A real street party.
But tonight? No community spirit You'd think there's be a better turn out for a bonfire.
"Bored Borg" wrote:

I'd wait a couple of days, sounds like you may have some smoke damage.

Bah Humbug.
Sounds like no one was injured.
Lew
Bored Borg wrote:

You forgot to get the marshmellows out.

Came
own
up
It is an intruder alarm not a smoke alarm:-)

down
was
everybody
What a bunch of misereable sods. I would gone out for a bloody good look.
Adam

WOW bro from across the pond . . . SWAT one year - cars blowing up the next . . . did ya ever think about moving out of the warzone? LOL! Be safe and I wouldn't worry too much about the community spirit . . . sounds like they're all in the Witness Relocation Program anyway!
Jummy
Did you uh, get bored and decide to come to the exciten rec??? LOL
Jimmy Mac wrote:

Those were my thoughts, as well! <G>

LOL!
Car bombs + SWAT = NEW NEIGHBORHOOD! Look at it this way: a new start with a new woodshop!
Jums

Can't keep a good man away forever! I just knew "Minwax Mac", the Jummywood king would come back sooner or later.
Nahmie

MERRY CHRISTMAS NAHMIE! Ya know - every once in a while - ya just gotta take inventory on yer Minwax! LOL! I've been building the redwood furniture for our back yard. One bench, three tables, two ottomans, two adirondeck chairs, and an octagonal table later (plus the built in outdoor ktichen) it's all protected with some great Minwax Polyurethane! LOL!
Jummy
skeez wrote:

... mondo snip

You've heard the comment that cops hate it when there are two conflicting stories.
Along those lines (Note, this is directed at the politically correct Brits who have led to the conditions cited by the original poster, definitely not at the people like the OP who have to live with the lunacy he described):
Question: How do you tell the difference between Politically Correct Brits, Americans, and Southern Americans?
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal .40, and you are an expert shot; you have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.
What do you do?
Politically Correct Brit's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor! Or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does it sent to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
American's Answer:
BANG ! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Southern American's Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click....(sounds of reloading) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click
Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?"

Of course there are no PC types in the USA, are there? Hang on a minute, that's where it was invented.
Bob Martin wrote:

... snip

Unfortunately, of course there are. But that wouldn't have been relevant to the topic in question.

It would, but it would have spoiled your chauvinistic bragging!

Reminds me of an incident a colleague of mine related to me. He has a friend named Joe who is a farmer cum scrapman, cum haulage contractor (Have big Hiab will move it), bodge it and fix it, handy kinda guy.
Joe was doing a job in one of his fields when a car stopped, a guy leapt out, and drove off in Joe's pickup.
Reported to the police but no interest.
A few days later a friend of Joe's saw the pickup being driven in the direction of a Gypsy site on the outskirts of Coventry and called Joe.
Joe is one of those guys who isn't afraid of anything or anybody, he threw an iron bar in his car and off he went. Joe's wife rang the police and they arrived, en mass, at the site, around the time Joe did.
Detail of exactly what happened is sketchy but Joe did get his pick-up back :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Well, prosecuting motorists who drive over the speed limit is far easier and far safer isn't it. Sit in cosy warm van with your feet up, take a few pictures, some civilian checks the numberplate on the database and sends out the summons, the money rolls in.
--
Stuart Winsor

Sounds like the fire brigade arrived in time to "save the street." ;~)

They had to destroy the car to save it.

They had to destroy the car to save it.
Must'a been a sacrificial thang.
I'm bored now.. think I'll go for a walk with a box of matches..