small staples/gun

My neighbor has a little craft project she wants my help with. She showed me a little 5.5" square plaque made with 1/4" mdf. It had a little bevel edge treatment, painted, and a cutsie little saying printed out and glued to the front. This was intended to be hung on a wall (or door) with a ribbon that had been stapled to the back of the plaque.
Anyway, she wanted a bunch of these. Gifts for gal friends at church. I'll cut up the mdf and bevel it, she'll paint and decopauge (sic?), and I'll attach the ribbon. If I can find a source for these small staples and a gun to shoot them.
Cutting up the 1/4" mdf and putting a small bevel on the 64 plaques was no problem at all. Finding a stapler and staples is a nightmare. I will be attaching the ribbon on the backside of the plaque and definitely don't want to shoot through the front side.
So, what I need is a staple that is 1/4" wide and maybe 3/16 or 7/32 deep. And a staple gun to shoot these. I know they exist as I've seen them. Today I was at JoAnns (a chain craft supply shop) and I saw a product that had their labels attached with just such a staple (product from China, where else?). Also, the sample my neighbor provided.
I've done some Googling but no luck so far. I'll keep looking but would sure appreciate any information any of you can provide.
Thanks, Ralph
How about something other than staples? Super glue (the gel type)?

The crown is wider, but you might want to consider something like a Boston 135 or Stanley Bostach Extra Heavy Duty Stapler. For example
http://www.staples.com/Stanley-Bostitch-Antimicrobial-Extra-Heavy-Duty-Stapler-Black/product_472522 http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/506121/Stanley-Bostitch-00540-Extra-Heavy-Duty /
I've got a Boston 135 and I imagine that with 1/4" staples and a few layers of ribbon, with maybe a piece of thin cardboard, that it would work for what you are doing. I've stapled 80+ sheets of paper with mine and I believe they rate it for up to 100 pages. No small feat! I just took it to my shop and had no problem sinking staples in white oak... easier than a thick wad of paper actually. MDF might be easier yet!
John
Why get a specialize stapler? ..... suitable for only one project?
Pneumatic upholstery staple guns shoot 1/4" - 5/8" staples. They are available at Harbor Freight for $20. A small air compressor shouldn't be too expensive, compared to those above mentioned Stanley-Bostitch staplers. An upholstery stapler and air compressor will be there for other projects, too, beyond your immediate project.
Sonny
Good Idea!! I have an air stapler but it shoots a minimum 1/2" leg staple, have some air nailers too. But the upholstery stapler is something I wasn't thinking about. Already have air compressors too. I'll try HF tomorrow.
A good glue would probably work too but am thinking that with 64 of these to do a stapler would be faster.
Ralph

Should you get a pneumatic stapler, the air pressure needed for the longer staples is at least 70 psi, usually more like 100 psi is needed when stapling into hard woods. For 1/4" staples, you might consider setting your regulator at a lower psi for the 1/4" MDF. I've never stapled 1/4" MDF, so I dont know how brittle it is, but it may crack/ split if you hit it with 70 or greater psi... I'm thinking thin MDF may be somewhat as brittle as thin particle board, i.e, easy to break. Test a scrap MDF piece before committing to your finish project. Maybe lay the 1/4" MDF on top of a solid backing/table, before stapling, to limit the prospect of cracking.
My rational for this is when I staple fabric onto thin face panels, for the front face of arms of chairs, sofas, etc. Sometimes those thin panels (cardboard, paper-type board, etc.) buckle/break under the pressure of my normal air pressure setting (usually about 100 psi), hence having to make new panels with a more substantial wooden board.
Sonny
On 1/15/2012 7:04 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:

have her hot glue them ribbon hangars on.
--
Steve Barker
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:04:54 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

The shortest 1/4" crown stapler I've seen is half an inch long. How about 3/8" crown? They come in shorter lengths. http://www.harborfreight.com/three-way-tacker-staple-gun-kit-96755.html http://goo.gl/NgHdd http://goo.gl/68Gb2
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On 1/15/2012 8:04 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:

I see staples as short as 9/32 listed for Arrow T-25 guns. This is their "low-voltage wire" stapler, designed to staple audio, video and data wiring to walls. I believe it takes both square and round crown staples.