Small Sander Reccos

I know I could Google but I don't know what I dont' know. ;-)

When I turned off my wheezing, laboring Craftsman 1/4 sheet finishing sander last week smoke came out of the bearings and motor area. I put it on the concrete patio and after it cooled down I put it in the trash. (I think it was pretty close to catching fire in my hand. ;-)

I need to get a new small sander that SWMBO can use. This time around I want to get something with dust collection.

What's the deal on the 5 hole, 7 hole, 9 hole, loop & hook, hook & cranny, hook and ladder, ladder and fireman, ladder and trellis options? Yeah, I'm a doofus... ;-) But I wrote PDP-11 assembly code and can still do math operations in octal. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I like the hook and loop as it is very easy to change grits.

I have a DeWalt 8 hole, a PC 5 hole. Toss a coin or see what fits your hand best. I'd rate them equal as to ability.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks much! Since I'm not stupid I'll let SWMBO decide which she likes. ;-) She doesn't mess with the TS, jointer or planer so I still make the most sawdust. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Mark Jerde wrote: Yeah, I'm

You're a friggin antique aren't you.

Need a small sander.

Choke when you see the price and get past it, then buy a Fein detail sander.

I won't leave home without mine.

Need a bigger sander?

I like the 6" Bosch ROS.

YMMV