small salvage gloat

Just salvaged about six 2-3 ft. long pieces of 6x6 redwood. Used as posts at one time: got a few coats o' paint, a little bit o' rot at the extremeties, coupla' nails, but otherwise looks like pretty good heart, and probably old growth too. Very pretty red. Just gotta figure out how to use it. Any ideas?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Gee, Dan. We just paid some guy to haul off the 200' ft of redwood fence we had replaced. Wish I'd known you were looking! ;-)

Of course, it was 28 years old, and most of the posts didn't need pulling, so much as a gentle leaning on them....

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Aaaaarrrrggh! Would have loved to lay hands on the fencing or any other redwood. It cleans up beautifully. I use it in making outdoorsy style furniture: benches, tables, barbeque caddy (soon). Finish with BLO and a few coats of poly for protection. Nice stuff. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote in news:VuqSc.18069$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes, it does, but not this stuff. It was too far gone, and was just crumbling. Not really good quality to begin with, either.

We occaisionally get the opportunity to salvage portions of redwood decks and such being replaced. I've seen some very nice things made with the scroungings.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I agree with you Jo4hn. I salvaged a number of redwood 2x4s from a repair job to my mother's deck. These were various railing and upright pieces. After planing off that awful "redwood stain" paint and cutting off the rot on the exposed ends I have some beautiful wood. I have resawn and made some boxes (that won't see hard use since this is soft wood) that are beautiful. I find that shellac looks good as does danish oil. Nice wood - I have never understood painting it with that "stain". I haven't yet been able to bring myself to use it for utilitarian outdoor furniture :)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

(snipt script)

I could get some nice small boxes out of these 6xs. I'm also planning to build my first boat this winter--solo or tandem canoe--and thought some of the redwood would look nice as an accent. Nothing fancy, just for color. Any thoughts on how that would work? Will likely use okume marine ply for the most of it. Given that redwood is so soft, I'm wondering if it would take well to the sometimes un-gentle treatment canoes must live with. Anyone with experience regarding this?

I always thought that redwood "stain" was an imitation of the real stuff, but I know lots of people paint their redwood with it. Personally, Dave, I'm with you; I find it pretty ugly.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

SNIP

I think that the redwood is painted with that "stain" after a couple of years because if left outside to weather, redwood becomes "greywood" pretty fast and might as well be weathered treated pine. Of course after "staining" your redwood it might as well be redwood "stained" treated pine :). As to the canoe, the redwood trim will dent, but obviously will hold up to some abuse since it is regularly used for decks and outdoor patio furniture - both of which see some use, wear & tear. I assume that it will need properly finished and regularly refinished to keep from becoming the weathered "greywood" discussed above :)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

(snip what's been seen)

As to the canoe, the redwood trim will

Just what I thought, Dave. I don't have pieces long enough to use for rails (unless I wanted to scarph a bunch together, which I don't--'course I could break down 'n' buy some, or hope for another salvage blessing :)). I was thinking some thwarts and maybe even the breasthooks; they'd be striking in redwood, and wouldn't take many hits. Clear glossy finish, with a old fashioned forest green hull. God, it's pretty!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore