small miter box

Is there such an animal as a small miter box? Maybe a 4" blade? I'm doing lots of trim work in the house and I'd like to bring a small portable power miter box into the various rooms without lugging my 12" Dewalt around

Maybe it'll make less sawdust, too :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerome Ranch

How about a hand mitre box and back saw? Clamp to a B&D "Workmate." Works for me...

Reply to
professorpaul

SEARS has a brand new 7 1/4 inch miter saw that looks pretty spiff. Just saw one this last weekend. IIRC, they are about $99.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Does it have to be powered? There's plenty of non-powered miter boxes that cut well and fast.

?c=2&p=32927&cat=1,42884,43836

Upscale

Yep Tried that (gasp). Bought a real expensive manual miter box and back saw, and I still use it for reall small jobs. But I'm cross cutting

1" x 4" red oak (lots of trim), and I have not been able to get nice clean cuts with a hand miter box (I know its a poor craftsman that blames his tools) ..it doesn't help that both my shoulders have torn rotator cuffs so it really hurts to hand miter for l>How about a hand mitre box and back saw? Clamp to a B&D
Reply to
jerry.ranch

Reply to
Pat Barber

You could also use a 45 degree shooting board as a saw guide for a back-saw and then clean up the cuts with a hand plane and the shooting board. Angles can be adjusted with shims as needed. With a little practice this works well and pretty quickly. Alternatively, a back-saw miter box and a guillotine cutter to clean up the cuts.

I used the shooting board and plane with 1X4 oak and with a sharp iron it cleans up real nice... you can see the pores in the wood.

John-

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hitachi makes a slider with a 7 1/4" blade (or at least they used to) Never saw a 4" one, though.

Reply to
Prometheus

Cool John Not heard of a shooting board before I will study this Thanks Jerry

Reply to
Jerome Ranch

Proxxon makes a ~3" one, but it only has a 1" width capacity at 90 degrees. You can find it on micromark.com, and it's not cheap :)

They also have an 8" saw on there that is really cheap (on sale for $50 right now), but I suspect it's junk. Plus you'd need to replace the 24 tooth blade it comes with. Only 15 pounds though, might be good enough for what the OP wants.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Jerry,

Lie-Nielson sells a DVD on shooting boards that features David Charlesworth... One viewing is probably all you'll need to understand the concept and process.

After using a shooting board for about a year and a half I wonder how I ever got by without one! What made it really sweet was I got an L-N No 7 from Tom L-N at my club's Woodworker's Showcase show this past March... I clean up the square cut ends of boards before hand dovetailing them as it makes the ends real smooth and a pencil or knife mark is easy to see. It sweetens miters beautifully. I pretty much use the No 7 and shooting board wherever an opportunity presents itself as the quality of my work is better for the effort.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin