small miter box

Is there such an animal as a small miter box? Maybe a 4" blade? I'm doing lots of trim work in the house and I'd like to bring a small portable power miter box into the various rooms without lugging my 12" Dewalt around
Maybe it'll make less sawdust, too :)
Jerry
How about <gasp> a hand mitre box and back saw? Clamp to a B&D "Workmate." Works for me...
Yep Tried that (gasp). Bought a real expensive manual miter box and back saw, and I still use it for reall small jobs. But I'm cross cutting 1" x 4" red oak (lots of trim), and I have not been able to get nice clean cuts with a hand miter box (I know its a poor craftsman that blames his tools) ..it doesn't help that both my shoulders have torn rotator cuffs so it really hurts to hand miter for long periods of time. Plus how can one cut odd angles on a manual miter box? I'm sure there's a way. Jerry

Jerome Ranch wrote:

SEARS has a brand new 7 1/4 inch miter saw that looks pretty spiff. Just saw one this last weekend. IIRC, they are about $99.
Robert
Bosch makes the KING of small miter boxes...
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H 5981&GT928&IU133
Jerome Ranch wrote:

You could also use a 45 degree shooting board as a saw guide for a back-saw and then clean up the cuts with a hand plane and the shooting board. Angles can be adjusted with shims as needed. With a little practice this works well and pretty quickly. Alternatively, a back-saw miter box and a guillotine cutter to clean up the cuts.
I used the shooting board and plane with 1X4 oak and with a sharp iron it cleans up real nice... you can see the pores in the wood.
John-
Cool John Not heard of a shooting board before I will study this Thanks Jerry

Jerry,
Lie-Nielson sells a DVD on shooting boards that features David Charlesworth... One viewing is probably all you'll need to understand the concept and process.
After using a shooting board for about a year and a half I wonder how I ever got by without one! What made it really sweet was I got an L-N No 7 from Tom L-N at my club's Woodworker's Showcase show this past March... I clean up the square cut ends of boards before hand dovetailing them as it makes the ends real smooth and a pencil or knife mark is easy to see. It sweetens miters beautifully. I pretty much use the No 7 and shooting board wherever an opportunity presents itself as the quality of my work is better for the effort.
John

Hitachi makes a slider with a 7 1/4" blade (or at least they used to) Never saw a 4" one, though.

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:31:57 -0500, Prometheus

Proxxon makes a ~3" one, but it only has a 1" width capacity at 90 degrees. You can find it on micromark.com, and it's not cheap :)
They also have an 8" saw on there that is really cheap (on sale for $50 right now), but I suspect it's junk. Plus you'd need to replace the 24 tooth blade it comes with. Only 15 pounds though, might be good enough for what the OP wants.
-Leuf