small gloat - Met Leonard Lee

Mr. Lee was in Saskatoon over the past couple of days, promoting his new book "The Great Saskatchewan Fowl Super and Literary Contest - A Saskatchewan Centenary Celebration in Ottawa" and signing autographs at the Saskatoon LV store.

I brought my copy of "The Complete Guide To Sharpening" and Mr. Lee graciously inscribed in it: "To Dave, for whom we built the Saskatoon store".

It doesn't get much better than that at Lee Valley.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

snip

And if the store goes belly up - IT'S YOUR FAULT!

I often wonder if Mr. Lee, and folks like him, understand how he affects other people's lives, not so much by the knowledge he passes along, but by the way of life and the values he, perhaps inadvertently, demonstrtes.

In a world of Hannity and Colmes (sp?), Dick Chaney and Gangster Rap, it's easy to forget that a vast majority of folks are good, honest, kind, considerate people, many with a sense of humor (humour for the Brits). The term gentleman needs more examples like Mr. Lee.

Thanks for the reminder

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:06:04 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Dave Balderstone quickly quoth:

OK, Dave. You officially suck for that one.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But in the nicest way of course. :-)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Seems to me that it could have been better if you'd received the "customer chosen at random" prize of a five minute dash around the store picking what you wanted for free.

Reply to
Upscale

I said "much" better...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not for lack of trying...

Hopefully Robin passes that along, although from what I saw at the store today there is no shortage of people willing to say so to Leonard's face.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Just picked up my Makita Lithium Ion kit. In a word - awesome!

My PC 14.4 drill (that I was never totally happy with) had weakening batteries (I think I saw the charger blink maybe?) that became my excuse. The mail in for a "free" (you gotta send $15 for S&H) recip saw became the motivation, and Midnight Madness at my buddy's store became the opportunity.

I haven't used up a full charge yet, but this sure seems like a well designed set of tools. The motor on the drill has 4 magnets - makes for a much smoother motor that you can really feel. The charger has a cooling fan to keep the battery cool during a charge. The battery has a chip in it that can be read to determine it's exact history.

On the down side, I took my PC drill into one of those "new 2 you" stores and they offered me $30 for the drill (with case, charger and two batteries). I kept it upstairs - for those occations when I need a drill while doing something up there and don't feel like running out to the shop for it. I figure if I use it as a hammer it's better than the $30.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

I bought the same kit last week on eBay. I will have it next weekend! Wahoo! I'm looking forward to seeing the kit.

Reply to
toolguy

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:191120051506043465%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

I was at the Denver woodworking show last Friday. I was admiring the planes at the Lee Valley booth, and one of their young employees came by to ask me if I needed help. I put my hands in front of me and did the bow thing, as if I were worshipping at the Altar of Lee Valley. He broke out laughing, then he grinned and said they actually get a fair amount of that.

I guess customer loyalty can be priceless.

Reply to
Nate Perkins