Small bathroom project

Page 1 of 2
Since I 'retired' by selling my countertop division, Angela somehow thought it meant room/time for some projects around the house:
Small bathroom. Entertainment centre for flatscreen etc. Break out and redo the bar in family room (Okay, I can get my head around that one). The foyer.
So here we go: New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it down to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new plumbing, tore out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put in a much better ventilation system with timer and rewired for new lights. Cabinets are built and installed but I couldn't quite decide on the doors and drawer fronts. Then it hit me. Corian has this new series of colours called Illumination. This is the one I picked: http://tinyurl.com/2wly997 I am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Drawerfront.jpg When all is said and done, it is supposed to look like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/BathFastRend.jpg The countertop with undermounted sink is this already fabricated: http://tinyurl.com/258rz4h There will be a finished shot in a week or so.
and yes, I said I was staining cherry *chin out* "what of it, eh?" =0)

That's some seriously cool stuff. Are you planning on installing lights inside the cabinets? Details, man!
Oh, and as far as staining the cherry...it's dead, it'll never know the difference.

MMM. Cool.........:-)

Very nice!!

Yesss!!!
Atta Boy!!
Max

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet: http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it really that tight? R
On 10/3/2010 12:38 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

North American dietary habits?
So the plumber can get to the shut off valve????
wrote:

North American dietary habits?
gmail.com> wrote in message

Yes, and when reaching for the valve, the plumber must not have to stretch so much that his plumber's crack causes an eclipse.
On 10/3/2010 1:44 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

of the public areas (Mall, stores, etc.) in the US. From observations I would say that 15" is not sufficient.

I would imagine that there are a number of possible reasons, but the one that would be most likely to influence me would be allowing enough room to reach around back and not have your elbow hit the wall. Or maybe they just took a spin on the arbitrary code wheel and it came up lucky 15.
snipped-for-privacy@swtacobell.net.invalid says...

Cleaning?

14 on one side, 13 on the other. Nobody in this house is big enough for that to be a problem.
On 10/3/10 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

As I've come to expect from you, those look flawless.
Were the chamfers done before or after assembly?
--

-MIKE-

Those were done prior to assembly. The end chamfers of the rails were done by hand, the rest with a normal router clamped in a Triton SuperJaws. Once you get into the rhythm of operating a SuperJaws, there's really nothing like it. Ridgid and Rockwell have them as well. The chamfer on the outer perimeter was done after assembly.
Some piccies All done.
Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/UpstairsBath /

Found a new use for 1/4" Corian: drawer bottoms. (A nice little 'sell- up'.)
"Robatoy" wrote:
Found a new use for 1/4" Corian: drawer bottoms. (A nice little 'sell- up'.) ------------------------------- Since drawer bottom is usually unsupported except at the edges, drawers of necessity should be kept small IMHO.
Weight might become an issue as drawers become larger.
Lew

2.5 lbs/sq.ft is a bit higher than plywood, but you can slide the bottom out and clean it throughly. On larger drawers, like pot/pan drawers in a kitchen, I would opt for another choice although I think a drawer up to 30" wide would be just fine with an edge-supported corian bottom.
On 10/10/10 11:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Brilliant. It's encouraging to know that there are still people who want and respect (and will pay for) the art, quality and craftsmanship of you piece, instead of going down to Pier1 for something that *looks* the part to the ignorant.
--

-MIKE-