Slot Cutting in a round hole.

I am faced with cutting an internal slot in a round wooden hub. Hub is 12" long, 2" inside diameter and slot can be only 4 " long. About 3/8" square. The slot will not go all the way through. Is there a small saw that I could do this with?
Perhaps I should consider using a chisel. The wood is American Elm.
Thanks Bob AZ
|I am faced with cutting an internal slot in a round wooden hub. Hub is | 12" long, 2" inside diameter and slot can be only 4 " long. About 3/8" | square. The slot will not go all the way through. Is there a small saw | that I could do this with? | | Perhaps I should consider using a chisel. The wood is American Elm.
I think I'd try putting a plug in the hole and use a hollow chisel mortiser to cut the slot. The plug would be there to support the chisel on the open side of the slot.
John

Well, you could use a piece of bandsaw blade in a frame saw (kind of like a hacksaw, only you make a wood frame any size you want, with a tensioner and strut instead of a stiff back). That would let you slice the sides of the slot, then it would be easy to hog out the waste with a chisel. If you really want a full four inch depth, most mortisers won't reach. The frame saw would easily do full depth, but isn't as accurate on cut path.