Slo-Mo Looting

Page 10 of 11
Leon asks:

Think about it. When was the last time you heard of a person being convicted of manslaughter when the original charge had been something like murder two?
Last week? The week before?
Happens all the time, usually at the whim of judge and lawyers.

I was thinking more in lines with commiting him to life in a mental hospital because of facts and events leading up to what he was accused of. He accused chooses to go to trial for murder because he thinks the case against him is weak. So the juriors choose life in a mental institution because they too cannot beyond a reasonable doubt find him guilt of murder but in their hearts they know this guy shoud be put away.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:20:25 GMT, "Leon"

Not at all. Perhaps I should have snipped that part of the post that I quoted and you chose to eliminate completely.
The point I'm tryihg to make is that when the judge "instructs" the jury and tells them what the law is and how they *must* consider it, the jury can do otherwise.

I see, I did not intentionally choose to leave that part out to challenge you. I really wanted to understand the situation. I think I understand now. With the $6 we get paid per day in Texas for out assistance in a trial I would like to believe that the juniors thoughts can go where they believe that they should go.
Can a juror call the judge on this when he instructs the jury?

Just replying to my own message here, talking to myself and answering back. I should have said "alleged" concerning all that carpenter's union stuff, his business isn't in the greatest neighbor- hood, but this and a lot more did happen very suspiciously.

"...destroy the world." The single most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on this or any other newsgroup. You really weren't trying to pull anyone's leg when you declared open season at your local Sears store, were you? So what was your point? That Sears shouldn't hire older employees? That Sears should have more security personnel? That cops should be patrolling the aisles? That "liberal laws" are corrupting our society?
Bob

begins not with lax thinking, but with admitting that one made a mistake. I didn't quite make it to the other side of the canyon with this leap, admittedly. One: Petersen is not yet guilty. Two: What I meant to say is that, if the Democrats win, society will become more corrupt. I'll stand by that. The point is, more corrupt at a time when national security is at stake like never before. Not looking good.

Huh? Do you mean that irresponsible posting begins with lax thinking, or that responsible posting begins with admitting one has made a mistake? Or...?

Piling one gem on another: "...if the Democrats win society will become more corrupt."
Dude, corruption is independent of politics. I teach history, and have learned that there are very few absolutes, very few "lessons of history." One cliche that is close to being absolute is that times change but people don't.
Help me to learn: at what time was "society" less corrupt?
George wrote:

They have these things called handcuffs.....
Makes me laugh

What, ask the thief to please stop running, and stand still while I cuff you? Where do you live?
No, you don't ask. You pursue until he/she is apprehended. If there is resistance, you are permitted to use enough force to secure the subject with cuffs, then after he/she is cuffed (generally) no more force is needed. Been there, done that.
Leon wrote:

Oh,,, so you run them till they drop... Suppose you don"t have the ability to run as far and simply want to get the deed done.
No one can outrun a radio
Leon wrote:

Well actually they can unless your plan was to throw the radio at the guy running away.
And yes I understand not out running the radio, but on the other end of the radio the chase continues or the guy simply gets away.
"Leon" wrote in message

LOL! Atta boy, Leon ... but you're just too damn "Texas" for most with that attitude. ;>) (Like it or not, it is pretty much a fact that most of those who have been in this part of the country longer (30 years or more) than 85% of the current residents simply aren't programmed to accept scofflaws of any sort gracefully.)
It's also notable that no matter how small the world becomes, and with all the moaning about the loss of regional differences in this country, it appears that you can still easily geograhically delineate the participants by the logic of their arguments.
As my 82 year old Dad still maintains to those, mostly eastern, acquaintances with a tendency to be a bit apologetic toward criminals of any degree "Believe what you will, just be warned that should you ever turn to a life of crime, don't get caught stealing from me."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

LOL... Yeah Siwngman, I finally indicated to Charlie that our differences of opinions on this matter are probably a result of where we live and have lived.

LOL Yeah... ;~)

Yeah..
Mark L. wrote:

Ever try to put handcuffs on someone who doesn't want to cooperate? While keeping them from grabbing your service weapon out of the holster and shooting you with it?

--
--John
Yes I have, and never lost a battle. That's what training was for. Even if the bad guy is bigger/stronger/faster good training will make you smarter. It's not a guarantee, but it helps to tip the odds in your favor.
J. Clarke wrote:

So you must have been fearful of brutality charges, since there was never a "Battle" that you lost, and have failed to mention in you earlier description of simply cuffing the guy.