Slo-Mo Looting

Page 7 of 11

NO, it hasn't. Do they even teach civics in the public schools where you live?
I know you'd kind of like to ignore the Constitution and all but please read the following and see if maybe it doesn't contradict the above ridiculous statement
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.
Oh yeah, that'd be the 6th amendment in case you missed it.

So uh, you witness a crime and perhaps others witness it along with you but it really did not become a crime or happen until the jurors say so. I that how you see it?
I do not need rules or laws to tell me if something is right or wrong, I am capable of using common sense.
After years in EMS, I feel qualified to determine if someone's dead, but even when decomposition is advanced the law says I have to take 'em to the ME. They're not dead until s/he says so.
Now substitute legal system for ME in your mind....

but
that
am

I know, common sense had been superceded by the ridiculous.

Not only is that how I see it, thats how Jefferson saw it, and thats how every judge who ever took the bench sees it. First off eyewitness accounts are often faulty. Secondly whether you like it or not the constition explicity allows for the accused to face the witnesses against him. Or perhaps you would prefer that we repeal the 6th amendment?
With the exception of minors and accusing females in sexual assault cases.
Or is that just an interpretation?
Secondly whether you like it or not the

Accusing females are often called to the stand, and the accused has that right. Rape shield laws protect them having their identity exposed to the public and the press, the do not supercede the rights of the accused
Leon,
I'm beginning to wonder about the state of your footwear. You seem to be overly concerned with shoes.
I had written a long reply to your comments, but in retrospect, it just rehashed the same points, so let's just quit repeating ourselves.
It's been fun, but you've managed to draw me out of my self-imposed ban on OT posts. I have to go back on the wagon, or I'll never get anything else done.
Enjoy,
Leon wrote:

It was great chatting with you too G. I am certainly glad that we were able to keep this as a point of view conversation and not let it become personal. I missed the shoes part though. :~) I gotta get back into the garage and finish a customers fire place screen also. ;~)

or
the
your
permanently
Oh you know, that pesky constitution and all.
.

Well you know, if that pesky constitution were perfect, there would not have been any laws written since. It is not a know all solve all solution and can be interpreted numerous ways.

It can be interpreted in many ways. However some of the parts that are not really subject to interpretation are the right to a trial, and the guarantee of protections from cruel and unusual punishments.
Secret Squirrel responds:

Oh, come on, man. Texas and John Wayne and common sense. IIRC, Mark Twain, somewhat more accurate and enjoyable than Leon as a social commentator, said that common sense was quite uncommon. Or maybe it was Will Rogers. Or maybe I'm mixing it all up with John Wayne's wonderful WWII military record.

Exactly... ;~) They just naturally go together.

said
maybe I'm

LOL.. I suspect that maybe the common sense will eventualy radiate from Texas to the rest of the world. ;~)
Leon responds:

You really don't get it. Wayne was never in the military. He had a 4 year earache or some such.

Sure he was, I saw him in a bunch of WWII movies.. ;~), Which is what I though you were refering to.

Bierce, The

Leon wrote:

It's my understanding that he volunteered for the Army, the Navy, and the Marines and they all 4-Fed him for a bad back. Although another version of that is that it was all a setup.

--
--John

John Wayne deliberately avoided military service in World War II because all the other leading men were going in and he saw the chance to get their roles. Even A&E's whitewash Biography mentions this.
Bob
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:05:23 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

He wasn't a liberal, but that's no reason to demean him. He most certainly attempted to enlist at the start of WWII, but was turned down for a shoulder injury, age (34) and family status (4 children). He did all he could to support the military through the USO and other efforts. He was honored with the Congressional Gold Medal for his efforts.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn responds:

Superpatriot who never fought but led people to believe he did.
His earache was a shoudler injury? Someone else told me it was a knee injury from his football days. Age of 34 when? How old was David Niven, Douglas Fairbanks, the host of others who went in, regardless of their fame and fortune?
Why didn't people who actually fought, or at least participated in the military effort away from the comforts of home and family, get similar awards?
Was it because they didn't attack the antiwar views of the '60s and early '70s?
Wayne was a hawk when it was safe for him to be a hawk.