Slo-Mo Looting

Hi Charlie,
I was with you at the first sentence, but by the time you finished, the description sounded liberal as opposed to the classical definition of conservative.
Both conservative and liberal have become meaningless terms, to me at least, but the most lucid explanation I ever heard of conservative principles was that they revolve around property rights.
Assuming that definition holds water, then privileging property and rights to/over it, including aggressive enforcement, would indeed appear to be a more conservative stance--and thus your stance would apppear to be more liberal.
Similar arguments about a homeowner's right to defend his property in a robbery typically divide along similar political perspectives.
For your consideration, H

Hi Charlie,
I was with you at the first sentence, but by the time you finished, the description sounded liberal as opposed to the classical definition of conservative.
Both conservative and liberal have become meaningless terms, to me at least, but the most lucid explanation I ever heard of conservative principles was that they revolve around property rights.
Assuming that definition holds water, then privileging property and rights to/over it, including aggressive enforcement, would indeed appear to be a more conservative stance--and thus your stance would apppear to be more liberal.
Similar arguments about a homeowner's right to defend his property in a robbery typically divide along similar political perspectives.
For your consideration, H
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:19:17 GMT, "Leon"

any law that limits a corporation is good (TM)2004
bridger writes:

I'm gonna steal that!
On 17 Aug 2004 23:37:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I'll send my lawyer right over to beat the crap outta you... <G>
Totally unfair to profile this poor kid that wears a winter parka in the middle of summer!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote in message

Leon responds:

Of what? Forgetfulness? You weren't stealing the stuff.

No, I was not stealing the stuff but I could sure under stand how an employee would have viewed it.
Charlie, neither one of us are idiots, ;~), I think that both of us have valid views perhaps given our back grounds of where we live or have lived. If I still lived in Corpus Christi where I grew up, I would probably see things a bit more your way. I do indeed recall seeing things your way. However now I live in Houston, TX and see things in a completely different light. I'd say 99% of the people getting chased down are caught red handed and not for the first time by the same stores.
Mark L writes:

Sort of a Draconian punishment for stealing a few bucks worth of diapers, I'd say, and something of a drastic technique for holding a person until the real cops arrive. I'd say his family has a suit, but what do I know. I'm not a compassionate Conservative, nor am I a lawyer.
Hey BUB where are you located? I was living in Blue Island till I moved to Cinci. Larry