Slipping Router bits

I've read a number of posts over time about slipping router bits. Yesterday I bought a new bit and was cleaning the protective film off the bit prior to use when it occurred to me that may be the reason for slippage.
Does anyone else clean their bit shaft prior to use?
--
Greg

Before using, the shank of a router bit should be bare metal, no film, no covering or greasy residue at all. When I buy single new router bits, they usually come in a little hard spastic case. There's no 'film' to remove, the shanks of the bits are bare metal and they are usable as is. However, when I have any of my carbide bits sharpened, they come back with a protective wax like substance encasing the carbide portion of the bits. That, I tear off, give them a simple wipe with a cloth and then use them as is.

Yesterday

Spell checker got it. Should be 'plastic' case of course. :)
"Upscale" wrote in message ...

Unless you *like* missiles in the shop....

the
This depends on the manufacturer. Looking at some of the cheaper bits, they have a varnish style finish applied to them so they don't rust until put to use by the buyer. Moving upscale a little (pardon the pun), the cutters can be protected with a rubberised dip and/or covered in a protective varnish. Good quality bits such as CMT etc have only the packaging to protect them.
It varies a lot (where I am anyway) so I always give them a wipe, just to be sure.
regards,
Greg
I never wipe my bits and have never had any problem with bits slipping with my Bosch routers. I have had problems with other lesser brands.

Yesterday

with
I haven't had the problem myself either, I thought it may be a possible reason for the others though.

I have had a slip problem with cheap bits and cheap routers. Probably manufacturing tolerances a bit too much one way or the other.
Greg Millen wrote:

I always wipe the shaft of the bit off before inserting it in the collet.
The only time I've had a bit slip is with a Craftsman router. In this case it's the design of the collet. With the particular Craftsman router I have, the collet is conical and there is only about 1/4" (the very tip) that comes in contact with the bit's shaft because of the way the collet is designed. With the other routers I have, the collet is cylindrical and grips the shaft along the entire length.
scribbled:

Actually, I had a bit slip in my PC 690 not too long ago. But it was a Sears bit.