Slightly OT: Where to buy aluminum sheet in Los Angeles?

Hi all,
This is ever so slightly OT. I'm making a motion picture camera assistant's front box for a friend so she can store her accessories and tools when working on a film set.
I need to know where I can find aluminum sheets about 1/16" to 1/8" thick by about 4"x6/7" long. If it's bigger I can cut it. I need to make a bracket out of it with two keyholes so she can mount it on two pins that are on the tripod.
Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)
Thanks,
Layne
Sat, Apr 10, 2004, 9:29pm (EDT-3) (Layne) queries: <snip> I need to know where I can find aluminum sheets <snip>
Well, since you didn't say you've tried looking anywhere on your own, a lot of people are gonna take it that you haven't, me included. So, if you have, you shoulda said, we don't read minds. And, no, I'm on the right coast.
If it was me, I'd look in my local phone book, under aluminum, metal, etc., whatever seems appropriate Call whichever looked promising, and, if they didn't carry what I wanted, I'd ask them if they knew where I could find it. I've found that usually works better than just thanking them, and going on to the next most promising number. I'm not in the big city, pretty rural really, but I can usually track down what I need in maybe 3 phone calls, at the most. I'd check for used, it'd probably be considerably less, and should polish up well enough. Might want to damascene (?) it.
Probably google would give some leads too.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:32:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: snip

No I won't damascene it. But I'm thinking I might anodize it myself.
The places I've checked online sell only mulitple sheets or sheets that are too large. The webpage that Steve pointed me to fits the bill as they do small, one off custom sizes.
Thanks,
Layne
Layne <> wrote in message

Layne,
When I worked for an aerospace company in Orange County about a dozen or so years ago, we went through sheets of aluminum by the pallet load and generated dumpster loads of aluminum cutoffs for recycling. I think there are many similar companies in the LA area where you might be able to get what you need from their cutoff bin with a bit of smooth talking with the shipping/receiving personnel.
Cheers, Mike
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:29:36 -0700, Layne <> wrote:

Check your local yellow pages, many smaller metal fabrication shops will sell materials. As they are not retail operations, they probably will not take credit cards, so expect to pay with cash. If the first one you call can't help you, ask if they know who can.
Barry
Layne <> wrote:

<http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid 31&step=4&showunits=inches>
Steve

Hey thanks Steve! I've bookmarked this site. It's a very good site. Great that they can do custom sizes. I might go with the 5052 AL as it might work better. I have to bend it twice on either end so that I can mount it on the back of the front box so it works as a bracket.
Thanks again,
Layne
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:52:39 -0700, Steve Dunbar