Slightly OT: Web news reader?

I've posted a few times and have read the FAQ, but I have a genuine newbie question...
By reading the FAQ I noticed that most of you are filtering out google posts.
However, I've got a vicious firewall in front of me at work (I've been taking wRECk breaks as often as others take cigarette breaks) and have only been able to view and post using google.
Does anyone know a news reader that operates purely over the web on port 80 that is more responsive and timelier than google?
I've tried googling for it, but my serches are off, I get way too many results.
Thanks in advance
Jay
same domain, just replace junk with jay for replies (Although both mailboxes are monitored)
On 7 Jan 2004 13:14:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote:

Try Easy Usenet. Free for read only access. I've used it at work over a secure network for several years now.
HTH Bill
dont know if this one will work or not, I just use outlook Express, Tony D. http://www.webattack.com/get/xnews.html

Jay wrote:

port for news is 119. Unless the news server is configured to answer on 80 rather than 119 you will be out of luck. XNEWS as mentioned in the prior post is configured to use the server port.
and some Companies(Or my school) have it only allow browsers to connect out, and not to some things, for example a server at home, Hotline, KDX, or anything else I tried. even thought they were port:80, somehow it messed it up, the KDX would come up with an Unknown protocol error. And a friend has a home-based server, which uses html, and is a normal web page setup, but it just doesn't let him connect.

Ask in news.software.readers newsgroup. Port 80 could be a problem.
Also, don't do anything that will get you fired. Check with your IT guys before running unapproved software on your work system.
--
DC

Don't get Longhorned -- get Linux.