Slightly OT: Web news reader?

I've posted a few times and have read the FAQ, but I have a genuine newbie question...

By reading the FAQ I noticed that most of you are filtering out google posts.

However, I've got a vicious firewall in front of me at work (I've been taking wRECk breaks as often as others take cigarette breaks) and have only been able to view and post using google.

Does anyone know a news reader that operates purely over the web on port 80 that is more responsive and timelier than google?

I've tried googling for it, but my serches are off, I get way too many results.

Thanks in advance

Jay

same domain, just replace junk with jay for replies (Although both mailboxes are monitored)

Reply to
Jay

Try Easy Usenet. Free for read only access. I've used it at work over a secure network for several years now.

HTH Bill

Reply to
Carver33

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Issue isn't the newsreader but the news server you use. The standard port for news is 119. Unless the news server is configured to answer on

80 rather than 119 you will be out of luck. XNEWS as mentioned in the prior post is configured to use the server port.
Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

Jay wrote in :

Ask in news.software.readers newsgroup. Port 80 could be a problem.

Also, don't do anything that will get you fired. Check with your IT guys before running unapproved software on your work system.

Reply to
DC