(slightly) OT: Silencing a washing machine

I'm building a cupboard sort of affair for the washing machine and tumble dryer. They will be sitting on the floor but over them will be a worktop and to hide them (because they'll be in a main living area) will be a roller door, kind of like a bread bin or burea . My question, what is the best way to reduce noise level? My original idea was chipboard, used in basic loft flooring, on top of the carpet then a thick cork tile and underlay on that.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

nospambob

I'm no expert on this and from my experience with a sound problem before, where I was surrounded by a bunch of PhD (none experts on sound), I got more ideas than solutions.

Try something like alt.sci.physics.acoustics.

Perhaps look for sound absorbing materials on google. This comapany sells materials

they have a help page

you can ask one of their staff for adivce. You don't have to use the materials they suggest necessarily, since they might be expensive.

But you might be able to work out most suitable materials.

I've seen one like this

had lead in it, making it very heavy indeed. That seems to go against the logic of a material that is fiberous and so able to move and turn sound into heat.

You might be better putting some bots bolts into the ground, to stop the machine moving. I've found washing machines can tend to do that. My diesel generator does, so that is screwed down.

I suspect this is a complex problem, and you really need the adice of someone that really works in that area.

BTW, I would be reluctant to have a wasing machine on decent carpet, as the occasional spill seems quite likely in my experience. I have mine in the garage. Assuming you have a garden, you will no doubt take the washing outside for drying. In that case, locating it outside might be sensible. Mine is in the garage.

Reply to
Dave

Thank you for your advice. All taken into account. Sadly we can't bolt it to the ground and as much as I would love to relocate elsewhere we can't. We live in a small flat above a shop. Single level. 1 bedroom, 1 storage room, main living/dining room, 1 kitchen and a bathroom. Apart from the kitchen, the living/dining room is the only other place. Not worried about the carpet, it belongs to landlord and he's been advised on what we're doing.

Many Thanks

Reply to
TrailRat

Washing machine noise is largely low frequency vibration, not sound transmited through the air. Stop worrying about cupboards and worry more about the floor it's sitting on. Really it needs to sit on poured concrete. If not, sit it on something that's decoupled from the rest of the building structure as much as possible.

Reply to
Andy Dingley