Slightly OT: Sealing around a shower door?

Just fitting a new aluminium framed shower door. The frame fits inside the 'doorawy' against malamine board. The instructions clearly say to apply caulk on the outside not the inside of the join. Tat just seems odd to me. I woudl have thought that the seal woudl go inside the join. Sealing on the outside means water will wick between the frame and the melamine and get at the fixing screws as well as just sitting there growing bugs. Anyone able to explain the instructions? I've done what they say and may write to the makers...
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro

spirit,"
Thanks for all the advice guys. I know I can rely on you.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro
Don,
My post was not a smart-ass comment to you but was good advice. I'm certain this group has the expertise to answer your question but I suggested the other group since there are some "Contractors" that hang out there and provide good advice in that group.
Bob S.

spirit,"

Thanks Bob. I was serious with my thanks and will take my enquiry over there as you suggested. Cheers,
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro
Personally I would do both. The one in our modular home is sealed on both sides. The ones I have installed in previous homes I have sealed on both side.
BRuce
Don Mackie wrote:

--
---

BRuce

spirit,"
First, tear out the melamine - that stuff isn't a lifetime product:) If the door was installed in a FG stall, the instructions would make for an adequate install. In your case, I'd install per instructions then caulk the inside jambs (but not the inside sill edge).
If you caulk the inside, the gap will show on the outside. If you caulk the outside and the inside, moisture from humidity is going to get trapped and mold may start up. If you caulk the outside, it looks better and the water can drain back into the shower when not in use. I would caulk around the screws however.

spirit,"
1) If your shower is really made of melamine you have bigger problems than the door. 2) Caulk the outside to keep water from getting outside the enclosure. Don't caulk the inside so that any water that gets in can drain out. Water WILL get behind it even if caulked on both sides so you need to let it drain and dry.
Jack
JackD wrote:

I like to caulk both sides for appearence but leave a small weep hole in the caulking at the bottom corners of the door.
-Bruce