slightly OT: LV plane for UHMW plastic

My former staff (I was "dismissed without cause" from my job of 16 years recently) geve me a $150 gift card for Lee Valley. One of the tools I bought is their miniature edge plane .

I've been doing some work with UHMW plastic and does this little plane ever do a sweet number putting the gloss back on the cut edges!

I'm going to go back and get its big brother!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Condolences, Dave.

Well, at least it's a nice slap.

Cool little toy.

That's about $250 for the pair + s/h.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

---------------------------------- "Without cause" based on whose viewpoint?

Let's see how close you come to the following profile:

1) You are in your mid forties to early fifties, 2) Earn a salary that puts you in the top 20%, 3) Are vested in a company paid pension plan that is just starting to require a major increase in payments as you approach retirement age. 4) Have a company paid medical plan that is starting to see dramatic increases in premium based on your length of service.(16 years) and increasing age. 5) Have always been considered a "Company Man", not a rabble rouser. IOW, if they fire you, probably won't get an attorney and sue. 6) If you drop dead this afternoon, will have a replacement in place with the week.

Bottom line..............................

You are expendable.

BTW, been to the movie.

Not all bad once you pick yourself up and start walking.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

DB:

I share the joy in a tool that sings your satisfaction.

On the other heading, if you can document a pattern of comparable dismissals based on criteria other than performance factors, your view of prospects might sharpen if you saw , yes, a lawyer. Should records and testimony from workmates be forthcoming in support of your case, determinants to further action shift to whether your erstwhile firm has sufficient assets to pursue , whether you have the stomach for what may be a protracted ordeal and whether you can find an able lawyer willing to consider your case on terms satisfactory to you.

We all understand that a business undergoing economic distress has a right to consider the salaries on its balance sheet in retaining employees. But if it demonstrably cuts only those employees in certain pay ranges based on other distinctions...they better be legally permissible ones.

By way of example, I called up the page below searching under "wrongful termination" and "Los Angeles, California":

your place, I would place emphasis on a a peer-review rating of AV, (where A is for utmost technical ability and V for ethical conduct) along with looking for cluster of practice specializations complementary to wrongful termination. Martindale (or Martindale-Hubbell) is--and has long been--the reliable rating touchstone for attorneys. Featured placement in their searches can be bought; the peer ratings are another and more important thing. This is a reference that has proven value by my experience.

Should you decide to contact selected lawyers, I highly suggest you make a logical and chronological written outline of your case as a calling card to invite interest. Carefully craft a presentation indexing evidence on hand or discoverable, review the results then give the smartest people you know unbridled rein to critically comment during revisions and you will serve yourself and your pocketbook well.

Now, back to the woodshop: if you like unusual tools for tight-clearance and miniature work, check out

for a novel thing or two. My elves use this stuff all the time.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Congrats on the plane, sorry about the job loss, but it could be the best thing.

I was let go after just over 20 years with the same company, as part of a major downsizing. I got full severance and more according to Canadian standards etc. Company went belly up, almost a year to the day I left, anybody still there got zilch, zip and nada.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I'm thinking the southpaw one can wait, and s/h doesn't apply as the stores only 10 minutes away.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yup. 52 this coming June.

With changes over the past five years, possibly the highest paid manager other than the publisher and sales director.

Nope. We switched to a "defined contribution" plan about 10 years ago.

Nope. It's a bit different here in Canuckistan.

ROFL! Definitely not. In fact, it was most likely the fact the new publisher (former ad director) and I butted heads so frequently before his promotion that I was fired. He never liked me, and the feeling was quite mutual.

They're going to have a tough time with some of it. A few days after I was let go, I got an email asking how I did some of the job. My reply was if they wished to retain me as a consultant I would prepare a quote. I suspect they will limp along until some upgrade or other breaks the custom workflows I developed over the years, and then they'll simply shoehorn that part of the operation into an off-the-shelf solution that corporate IT will then proceed to ignore.

In any event, they offered a reasonable severance package that I accepted and I am now relaxing and looking at a couple of business ventures. This is an opportunity, and not a setback.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Employment legislation here in Saskatchewan allows them to do exactly what they did. In fact, they could have given me a month's pay and and told me to f*ck off.

The severance package they offered was reasonable, however, and fairly easy to accept.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't see that happening in the short term, but I do think they are making some very flawed business decisions today that are going to bite them hard in a few years.

The print publishing industry is undergoing a major sea change, and unfortunately most publishers haven't figured out that entirely new business models are required. Instead, they are simply moving the old models (sell space to eyeballs) into new and exciting technologies.

This was/is a good time for me to get out and move on.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You bastard. There goes the severance pay...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I was in the printing business too, trade-only business forms, cheques, invoices etc. Major shakeup in that part of the industry as well.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Absolutely. I used to order forms, envelopes, cheques, etc for the company. The volumes have dropped precipitously over the past few years. Very few cheques being written, EFT is now the norm. And almost nobody is using letterhead for communication any more.

OBWW: Some paper comes from trees. Trees are made of wood.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

------------------------------ Super.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The big change happened over the Y2K issue, most companies did major systems upgrades, gone were the days of 4 and 5 part invoices etc., then it declined from there.

Ah well, all in the name of progress, good luck in whatever you should decide to do.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Just for grins, after reading the above I flipped back through the register and counted the number of checks I wrote out of the household account in the year 2010 ... a total of 31 checks, less than three a month for the entire year.

1995 it was well over 250 from the same account, with a slight increase in the number of transactions in 2010.

Times, and methods, change ...

Now, if only the electric grid can be maintained.

Reply to
Swingman

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:190220110917493071%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

I had exactly the same thought. Lot's of neat stuff that you can't find anywhere else. One can never own too many tools...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Wow. Been there too. Worked in a private printing plant owned by a major gas utility in Ontario. Company was taken over by pipeline company in Alberta. They waited until the company celebrated its 150th anniversary, and within weeks changed its name and started stripping departments and subsidiaries until it was down to the bare bones with everything outsourced. My department was being sold to Xerox. Being 58 and having worked in the company for 40 years, I could see that I was doomed. After seeing what was happening in other areas of the company, I decided my best move was to bail out as I was 2 months into qualifying for early retirement without penalty. I was disgusted with demands of management in regard to the way they wanted me to treat our 30 employees, and walked in on a Monday with a request for retirement. With accumulated vacation time owing me, plus some other time I was owed, my last day was the next Friday. Basically, I gave them 5 days notice. Never looked back.

I now work with my son's company, an internet e-zine publisher. ---- The new wave in "printing".

Reply to
EXT

Your nick is familiar from somewhere else, did you post/read in AHM many years ago?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You cauld have been in the US where they just say "bye".

Reply to
CW

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:190220110859468080%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

Not fair ...