slightly OT: LV plane for UHMW plastic

Page 1 of 4
My former staff (I was "dismissed without cause" from my job of 16 years recently) geve me a $150 gift card for Lee Valley. One of the tools I bought is their miniature edge plane <http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pf567&cat=1,41182>.
I've been doing some work with UHMW plastic and does this little plane ever do a sweet number putting the gloss back on the cut edges!
I'm going to go back and get its big brother!
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:37:04 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Condolences, Dave.

Well, at least it's a nice slap.

Cool little toy.

That's about $250 for the pair + s/h.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
I'm thinking the southpaw one can wait, and s/h doesn't apply as the stores only 10 minutes away.
;-)

Not fair ...
--
Best regards
Han

Perhaps not, but far, far easier on our crowbars and wallets.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Guess I shouldn't mention my autographed copy of "The Complete Guide to Sharpening" in which Leonard Lee wrote "To Dave, for whom we built the Saskatoon store", then?
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:44:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Ow! Ow, let go of my leg!
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it?
<http://gallery.me.com/balderstone#100006/IMG_0329
On Feb 20, 1:37pm, Dave Balderstone

If it's got "bells", umm, that's not a leg. =:O
In article

Depends... Are you a Morris Dancer?
;-)
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:37:25 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Ouch! Not the middle one!

No, not that one, the part where you said they built a store just for you.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Din't read the inscription at the link, didja?
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:24:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Hah! No, I just saw the sig. I didn't try to read the henscratch. That's a keeper, fer sher.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

I'll confess to leaving the store with one big SEG that day...
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:06:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone

No kidding. LOL.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Is that a drive by?

Nope, a full neener...
;-)
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:14:37 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"

Naw, those are walking minutes.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

---------------------------------- "Without cause" based on whose viewpoint?
Let's see how close you come to the following profile:
1) You are in your mid forties to early fifties, 2) Earn a salary that puts you in the top 20%, 3) Are vested in a company paid pension plan that is just starting to require a major increase in payments as you approach retirement age. 4) Have a company paid medical plan that is starting to see dramatic increases in premium based on your length of service.(16 years) and increasing age. 5) Have always been considered a "Company Man", not a rabble rouser. IOW, if they fire you, probably won't get an attorney and sue. 6) If you drop dead this afternoon, will have a replacement in place with the week.
Bottom line..............................
You are expendable.
BTW, been to the movie.
Not all bad once you pick yourself up and start walking.
Good luck.
Lew

Yup. 52 this coming June.

With changes over the past five years, possibly the highest paid manager other than the publisher and sales director.

Nope. We switched to a "defined contribution" plan about 10 years ago.

Nope. It's a bit different here in Canuckistan.

ROFL! Definitely not. In fact, it was most likely the fact the new publisher (former ad director) and I butted heads so frequently before his promotion that I was fired. He never liked me, and the feeling was quite mutual.

They're going to have a tough time with some of it. A few days after I was let go, I got an email asking how I did some of the job. My reply was if they wished to retain me as a consultant I would prepare a quote. I suspect they will limp along until some upgrade or other breaks the custom workflows I developed over the years, and then they'll simply shoehorn that part of the operation into an off-the-shelf solution that corporate IT will then proceed to ignore.
In any event, they offered a reasonable severance package that I accepted and I am now relaxing and looking at a couple of business ventures. This is an opportunity, and not a setback.