Slightly OT deck staining query

Greetings All, I just put the second coat of Cabot's stain on our deck, and the look is exactly what we wanted. Is there anything else in the way of a sealer/topcoat that will extend the life of the stain as long as possible. I do realize it needs to be refinished once in a while, but I'd like to keep it looking fresh as long as possible. Many thanks,Mark

Reply to
Mark

Sealer/topcoat will wear off in about a year. Is the effort worth one more year? Plus, when it comes time to strip that crap off in order to restain the deck (like I am gonna have to do this fall) you will have that nasty task ahead of you as well as restaining and re- applying the topcoat.

Topcoats that actually leave a surface sheen (like a poly) are a big mistake on a deck IMO.

Don't do it.

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

Thanks, I'm convinced.

Reply to
Mark

If you have any issues with the Cabot's coming off to the least touch give your dealer a call and ask for a rep to make an inspection. I didn't and it's shame on me for being stupid. I had blamed the lack of adhesion on the fact that I had applied Thompson's Water Seal about 5 years earlier. I then realized that the stained areas which are protected from the weather and light are not rubbing off. This is no slam on Cabot's - I used it on the T1-11 siding on our house and garage without any problems. So, I still have a hunch that it's the Thompson's causing me grief. But just in case you hae an issue call them for some advice. My call was 2 years late and they quickly blamed the Thompsons.

Reply to
C & E