Slightly OT: Building a base for an enlarger track.

I have a De Vere 8x10 horizontal enlarger. You can see one at:

It's the one one the right. It's used for enlarging 8x10 film. The enlarge has motorized wheels that move it back and forth for enlarging/reducing the picture size. The wheels run on and angle iron track, which is about 2 ft wide and about

6 feet long. The problem is that I have to install this track so that it's quite flat, and I have a 100 year old house, with a 100 year old poured concrete basement floor which isn't all that flat. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to install this track on the floor? I've been thinking of putting maple flooring slats under the track every foot or so. I could then install threaded inserts on the low side of the track and use stainless feet (or carriage bolts with the head on the floor)through the inserts to level the track. The floor does occasionally get a little wet after a heavy rain, and so I probably should coat the maple with a few coats of marine epoxy. Does this sound like a viable option? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

-Peter De Smidt FdL, WI

Reply to
Peter De Smidt

Hi Peter,

Wow, that's some enlarger!

My Omega B-22 (2 1/4 sq) pales in comparison.

I think your plan is ok, but I might use something other than wood (maple) for the slats. You might consider an artificial wood (like Trek brand) which is used for exterior decking. I don't think the water or dampness would bother this at all.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Peter I work in the photo industry and have made many tracks for the Durst

10x10's. We tap holes in the track and use bolts to level it. The first few, we leveled with a Surveyors rig. Now, we use a Starret machinist level. Each line on the level is about 5 thousands per foot. We made our own track so we welded 3/8 thick pieces of steel to the angle to accept the threaded holes. You can probably just thread the plates that you have. max

Reply to
max

One thing I might try is to make a frame out of some 1X2s and set it on the floor in a position where you want your enlarger to sit. Affix the frame to the floor with some hot glue and caulk around the inside of the frame with some latex caulk. When this frame is in place mix up and pour some self leveling floor compound into the frame. When the leveling compound dries you should have a nice level spot to mount the enlarger.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf