Slightly of Topic Mortar and Grout

I am repairing some loose tile in our bath room. I have remove the tile and the mortar be that they were laid on. Base on the recommendation I have purchased a fine sand mortar mix and replaced the broken mortar base.
The sand sand mortar was cheap and I have quite a bit left over. Can I use it to lay the tile and then as grout?
What is the difference between grout and mortar?
keith_nuttle wrote:

Depends on how thick the laying mortar would be but it is most likely that you should use thinset mortar which is made for strength in thin layers. You could use the leftover mortar as grout if the tile is thick and the joints wide. I use mortar for grouting saltillo, joints are about 1/2"+ high and 1/2 - 3/4 wide, works fine.

Grout often has added color...it has either no sand or very fine sand. No sand is for very narrow joints, sanded (stronger) for wider. Tells you the width on the box.