slight OT: truck hauling capacity

Page 3 of 3

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:26:19 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Every Fall there are numerous 1/2 ton P/U around here sitting on the side of the road loaded with a cord and half of green wood and a broken axle. "If it fits - I can haul it" seems to be the prevailing philosophy.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On 6/9/2005 2:53 PM Tim Douglass mumbled something about the following:

You wouldn't happen to live in Georgia, now, would you? :)
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

My youngest son blew a head gasket helping a friend bring home a load of green oak firewood that way, several years back.
$1400 for a load of 'free wood', that someone else got to burn. Some lessons are more expensive than others.
Thinking about it, that was the same trip where they had my new truck too, and managed to back over a steel landscape spike, and tear up an expensive tire...
To the OP: Rent a trailer. Preferably one that has a power dump feature.
Patriarch

yeah... same mind set as " it must be ok to write checks, there are lots of them left in the checkbook"..
The first trip we took to the forest for turning wood last month, my wife wanted to keep loading the truck but I chickened out... We had a LOT of 10" to 14" rounds, maybe 2" long, stacked pretty well in the bed... it didn't LOOK like that much, but estimating the average weight (which felt heavier each time I put one on the truck) I figured that we had at least 800 pounds of wet wood loaded, even though there was room for about 6 more rounds..
I kept thinking about the long down grade on the way home and the turns on it... pictures of light front end, blowing out rear tire, etc... it just isn't worth risking lives or equipment..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
<snip>

2" long? Whatcha making, plates?
--
Nahmie

hmm... maybe wood table saw blades? *g*
thanks for catching that, it was supposed to be 2'
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

<snip->
I knew that! Just couldn't resist!
--
Nahmie

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/nissan/frontier/2004/standard
Pick your specific model, then click specs...
scroll down and you'll find it... noting that that weight usually includes the occupants, not just the bed...
-philip

For some folks you see at the Borg, that leaves just enough cargo capacity in a half-ton truck for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.... :-b
--
Regards,

Might be true for trucks, but those sedans can carry quite a bit if tied down right!
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Lumber-Car-A.jpg
:-)
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:12:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

hey! I resemble that remark!!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

well, you have maybe a "half ton" load rating... but probably a 5,000 to 7,000 max tow weight... I'd borrow or rent a trailer... YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:02:11 -0700, mac davis

Find a friend with a boat and try to schedule use on a day he will be out boating. Even a relatively small boat trailer will have a 3,000 lb rating. I have hualed several 30' or longer telephone poles on mine with little problem although at that length you tend to have negative tongue weight - not a good thing. With 8' to 10' logs that should not be an issue.
Dave Hall