slight OT: truck hauling capacity

Planing on picking up some large logs (black walnut 20" by 6-8 ft lengths) as per my other post. I'm starting to wonder if I can even haul one of those with a Nissan Frontier (2004 4by4, 6 cylinder) Can't seem to finds its hauling capacity anywhere. Anyone know?

Reply to
Doug

Perhaps you should post to rec.woodhauling. Those guys know their stuff. :-P

Reply to
Jerry S.

Doug wrote: Planing on picking up some large logs (black walnut 20" by

6-8 ft lengths) as per my other post. I'm starting to wonder if I can even haul one of those with a Nissan Frontier (2004 4by4, 6 cylinder) Can't seem to finds its hauling capacity anywhere. Anyone know?

As you're loading, check under the axle for those rubber bumpers mounted on top of the leaf springs. Stop when they're about 1/2 inch from the bumperstops. That thing will drive a little funny.... Tom

Reply to
tom

Max capacity for your truck is 1/2 ton. ( 1000 lbs +/-) Should be either in the glove box or the drivers door jam ( or thereabouts.) Most vehicles typically have it on a plate in the drivers door area. Definitely should be in the owners manual!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

So, let's see. Density of Black Walnut, according to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover, is 38 pounds per cubic foot. So, each foot of log at a diameter of 20" is pi*10^2*12 cubic inches, (3770 C.I.), which is 2.18 cubic feet, which weighs 82.9 pounds. So, a 6' log will weigh ~500 pounds, an 8' will weigh ~660 pounds. Give or take, unless I screwed up. So, one at a time should be fine, two would be pushing it. Three, is right out.

Dave Hinz

P.S. I think this is a drive-by gloat as well, yes? In which case, I'm obliged to contribute a "you suck".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On 6/8/2005 4:34 PM Doug mumbled something about the following:

2 logs that size in my Ram 1500 was quite a load. I wouldn't try more than one in the Nissan.
Reply to
Odinn

If it were me, I would just haul two at a time. It's a one time job and probably won't affect the vehicle any. The extra 200 lbs would most likely be within the test load limits that were engineered into the truck. If you were to haul 1200 lbs plus on a daily basis ( even 1000 lbs ) eventually your suspension would sag, "U" joints wear, trans and clutch wear, engine along with everything else and the life of components reduced. Like the owners manual would tell you, you'll want to change the oil more often in dustier / rougher conditions as opposed to metro driving. This is because constant rough conditions will cause more wear. So two or three trips with a 1200 lb load probably won't affect the vehicle any. You will want to take into consideration stopping distances, though.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

A half ton is a half ton is a half ton. Capacity doesn't care who made it.

I've broken ( or fixed ) Toyota's, Nissans, Dodge's, Chevy's, GMC's and Fords all the same.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Dave, I think that is extremely funny: "A drive-by gloat!" Yeah I suppose it is. Yet it won't be if I snap a leaf spring... Thanks for the laugh and the valuabe feeback though!

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
Wilson

The traditional ton rating of trucks has long ago lost any value other than vague comparative. Just because a truck is called a half ton, or a 150, or a 1500, or whatever they call them tomorrow, does NOT mean that it can haul a half ton. In fact, it is probably higher than that, even on an import.

Check the ratings on your truck. Should be in the glove box, or the door frame, or RTFM.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Reply to
Knotbob

No they aren't, even of the same make. The carying capacity varies all over the place for different models, different makes, and different years. Ask the new car dealer for the specks for that model. What vehicle doesn't have the axle capacity listed on the door (or elsewhere)?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Read again. I didn't say his truck was a half ton. I said his truck has a 1/2 ton capacity. Depending on his model ( King Cab, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Long Bed ), 915 lbs to 1146 lbs max payload to be more specific.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Let me rephrase. 1000 lbs is 1000 lbs. It doesn't matter what make the vehicle is, carrying that kind of weight around all the time will cause faster wear or breakage than not carrying that weight around.

Correct.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Lots of good comments and suggestions. My questions are, how are you getting them loaded/unloaded, and how far do you have to haul them? If you've got a front end loader or a backhoe to hoist them in, and they don't stretch the bed width, go for 2 @ a time if it's a short haul. If you're using muscle/winches, etc., one @ a time should be plenty, give you a chance to rest during the haul. If it's a short haul over decent road, go for 2, if it's rough travel or a long haul, stick with 1. What do YOU feel comfortable with? I've done short(15-20mi) hauls with my old '89 F150 full of sand, sitting right on the stop bumpers, just took it easy.

Just as long as it doesn't look like the Toyota I saw once. Had a cap on it, but they were headed into a city with a load of cantaloupe(sp?). Bed completely filled & piled as high as they could get under the cap. Rear bumper almost dragging the ground, rear tires squashed out to about 1/2 normal size. Wishing he would have to pull into the scale house like the real trucks.

Then there was the full size P/U I saw on I-5 in CA. Had three rolls of carpet hanging out the back, front tires just skimming the surface, and every little bump they'd leave the ground.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I don't believe the original poster's truck is what is considered a 1/2 ton truck. It is smaller than that.

The GVWR is listed on the door post usually, but GVWR opnly helps determine the load capacity if you know the empty weight of the truck.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

your specific model, then click specs...

scroll down and you'll find it... noting that that weight usually includes the occupants, not just the bed...

-philip

Reply to
Philip Hallstrom

For some folks you see at the Borg, that leaves just enough cargo capacity in a half-ton truck for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.... :-b

Reply to
Doug Miller