Sliding table gloat!

Page 3 of 3

Please don't. I was *wrong* to accuse/impune!
For the life of me - I don't know what they heck I was thinkin'/drinkin'. I'm old enough to know better. Old enough to know that I probably had a small fraction of the facts! Old enough to know better!
Flat out - frickin' wrong. And I am sorry!

Touche!
Am I my brother's keeper? Dammit, I'm supposed to be!
Way to go mttt ....... I don't know ya, but I bet I'd like ya!

I have to agree with UA100. I love a great deal (just got a Leigh 24" Dovetail Jig for $100) and look for them all the time. Most of the time I try to get a better deal and figure if they accept, then they've accepted. However, one time I saw a brand new Delta 16.5" DP for sale in the paper and was going to ask $150 for it, but when I showed up I found that the husband had just had a stroke and couldn't work the tools anymore and they needed the money for expenses. Ugh, I couldn't do it, so I politely declined and left hoping she might get more from someone else.
Guess it depends on the situation...
Mike

<snip>

When a poor starving apprentice. The other apprentices and I made it a practice of visiting the Union Hall each week and checking the Bulletin Board for the Death Notices. And then dash like hell to the florist, pick up a bunch of 'posies' and skeedaddle to the home of the newly deceassed shipwright. The ploy went something like this. Show up with 'posies', wearing a long face and pay your respects to the new widow. In the course of converstation casually bring up ' Old Mikes Tools'. If the opening presented itself and sometimes it did... SNAP, like the jaws of a Great White Shark you struck! Go out to the garage or down to the basement and be shown his tool chest/s. Oh and Ah over his nice tools and well you people can figure out the rest of the speil. Poor apprentice, hungry family at home yadda yadda. We ALL got some good deals that way until it got out of hand with some fellas passing on to others outside the trade, what we were up to. Complaints were made to the Hall and changes were made. Now the tools if the family so wished, were brought to the Hall and, on Meeting nights would be auctioned off. With the money going to the family. Since the Meetings were for members only it still was a good way to acquire tools and frankly in the light of my years better behaviour for us apprentices. BUT, I still from time to time, cannot think back to those days without a gleam in my eye over the thrill of the chase.
I have made preparations and given strict instructions to my wife and sons that anything the sons don't want is to be sold/given/passed on to working shipwrights. NOTHING is to go to collectors or dilletantes, period.
PAX Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd /
<Dave Fleming> wrote in message

Goes for other "tools" also. I play a 61 Fender Jazz Bass that I've been offered in the neighborhood of $12K for a number of times. SWMBO knows that it _will_ go into the hands of a "player", even it has to go cheap. I feel the same way about my woodworking tools.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

There are no more gloats.
www.owwm.com
being the one whom you claim took advantage of someone in an unethical manner I must defend myself with the following points.
1. This man was the sole owner of the property in question....not an employee of the actual owner. 2. This man asked me to make an offer which he could have refused. I did not beat him down. 3. Broken part aside, the jointer is of a higher value to the likes of us true, however to him it was scrap iron. If you, for some reason, came into 8 tons of potatoes and wanted to get rid of them you'd probably be thrilled to take less than market value. (yeah I know.. stupid but it's a point) 4. I've since helped him find a buyer for some of the other equipment at a price he established. 5. Taking advantage of a good deal where both parties walk away contented isn't unethical...it's just wise. 6. Taking advantage of someone who is down on their luck is unethical..not the case here. 7. You're just friggin jealous.
"mel" wrote in message

You CLEARLY established Market value of that particular item at that particular time. MARKET VALUE = The price agreed upon between a seller, who is not forced to sell, and a buyer, who is not forced to buy.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown ... and still sucketh big time!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

Yessir - I did assert/state that. And will dutifully read your clarification of what happened.

Thank you for the clarification. My apologies for the accusation.

Yes! And I've been reading too many "gloat" posts here.
I appreciate the apology and if it makes you feel any better it wasn't that long ago I was in a position that I needed the money so I sold a Rockwell 10" RAS...you remember the kind.... like they don't make anymore.. one my father gave me..... and a Delta 6 inch jointer also given to me by my father.... sold them both for a whopping $250. Do I regret it? You betcha... Do I resent the man for taking advantage of it? Nope....it wasn't his fault I provided him with the opportunity. Could he have been more benevolent and offered me more? Had I made known my situation he might quite possibly have done so...but I didn't. Being thy brother's keeper and being benevolent requires the knowledge of a need. It is impractical to waste benevolence on those who don't need it since it might rob you of the ability when someone actually does. I'm climbing down off my soapbox now..nice soapbox...think I'll post pictures of it to abpw...<g>.

Agreed...
Fastow (Enron) in the news, Tyco, Martha Stewart... White collar crime, Club Fed and worse. New parent...
How the heck am I supposed to teach my kids intangibles like empathy and morality? Dammit, I'm sometimes confused by what's "right/moral/ethical/proper"!
Sometimes I read the gloats and wonder how I'd feel if that was my kid posting? Once in a blue moan, I read a gloat and jump in - where I ought'a not be jumpin'... :)
How the heck am I supposed to teach my kids intangibles like empathy and morality?
If you get an easy answer to this let me know...lol....by example is the way my dad taught me and like I've alluded to...it ain't easy.
Frankly given the quality of ths product they should just give it away.. they almost did?

What's wrong with it? The reviews I've read are positive.
-- Mark