Sliding table gloat!

Page 1 of 3
I think this qualifies for gloat status:
Was shopping at Rockler after Xmas to check out their clearance items. Sliding table : Regular $249, 25% off on clearance. Then I see they have an in-store coupon for an additional 50% off any already clearanced item, so that would be about $93! So I grab the sliding table and when he rings it up: Instead of doing 25% off and then 50% to get $93, he does 75% off the total price instead! Bottom line = Sliding table for $62! And all I came in for was a magnetic wristband, which I forgot because I was too jazzed!
Since they had 2 of them, I called a pal o mine and he ran down and grabbed up the second one, which the dude rung up the same way.
I installed the table and it works very well (especially for that price!). Anyone else have comments about using this table? (Its the same as the Mule sliding table, rebranded for rockler). Woodshopdemos.com had some helpful hints for installing it.
Personally, I think you should have stopped the gloat just before you knowly took advantage of someone else's mistake. You already had a good price, bully for you. But I think the GGV (gross gloat value) is reduced for cheating. It's like taking advantage of the widder-women.
Just my $0.02CDN. And yes, before you ask, I have stopped a transactions when I thought the clerk was ringing things through incorrectly (in my favor). Bully for me, I know...
Clint

I disagree. To me "an additional 50%" added to 25% off = 75% off. Whenever stores take 50% the ORIGINAL price, and 25% off the ORIGINAL price THAT is cheating, not the other way around. I think the way this worked out is exactly how it should happen.

By that logic, if a store had something on sale for 75% off you had a coupon for an additional 50%, do you think they should pay you 25% to walk off with their stuff?
Frank
I would assume that if something was 75% off they would have some sort of clause saying no additional coupons accepted or some such thing. I have bought items at computer stores with instant rebates that made them cost $0 and they included mail in rebates, so they DID essentially pay me to take the stuff home.

Percentages off are handled differently than dollar amounts off. The original poster assumed, as do Frank and I, that the final price would be .75 * .50 * retail price, not retail price - (0.25 * retail price) - (0.5 * retail price). If he had assumed your justification, he wouldn't have come up with an expected price of 93, which he did.
Anyways, you guys live your lives the way you want to, teach your kids the values you want, and I'll do the same. Rockler is probably going to survive, and was probably losing money on the deal regardless. The person at the front counter who can't do math will probably still have his job tomorrow, and the world will continue to turn.
I still think it reduces the GGV, in any case. That's all I'm saying.
Clint

I understand what you're saying very well. To me it just makes more sense to say "take 50% the already reduced price" rather than "take an additional 50% off". The word additional can mean a lot of things in this context. To me it sounds like "add this new discount to the initial one and then take the discount". Rockler should be smart enough to know to say "already reduced price", IMO. GGV is retained at 100% hehe.

Well, I guess I have more faith in a company like Rockler to properly phrase a sale advertisement than I do in someone reporting a gloat to exactly replicate the sales statement, if you know what I mean. In any case, I thought the OP (who hasn't responded to the slanderous statements being made about him, BTW) was thinking he got an even better deal because the clerk was making a mistake. After re-reading his post, he didn't ever claim that he thought he was getting a an even better deal than he originally though. I assumed that, which was wrong of me. For all I know, he might have thought he made a mistake in the calculation, or that Rockler had a "special" way of calculating it that was different than every other store out there, or whatever.
Rob, where-ever you are, I apologize for thinking that you were additionally gloating about being able to take advantage of someone else's mistake based on your original post. I still have a suspicion that you knew that the clerk was making a mistake, but you didn't say anything, but that's making assumptions that I probably shouldn't. It still seems too close to taking advantage of someone else who doesn't know any better, like the old widder woman selling off her husband's Unisaw for $100. In any case, I probably didn't need to crap on your parade route.
Clint

He says he was charged $62 instead of the $93 he was expecting. He knew the cashier was making a mistake and just took it. That is exactly the same as seeing someone drop money and quickly picking it up before the guy looks around and sees it. In other words, it is stealing.

From the OP's message:

It says, "clearanced item," not "clearance item's already unbelievably low price."
It is possible the clerk rang it up right: 10% clearance + 50% coupon = 60% discount 25% clearance + 50% coupon = 75% discount 40% clearance + 50% coupon = 90% discount
This may not be the case, but I see nothing in the verbiage that *requires* the 50% discount applies to the discounted price instead of the full price.
-- Mark

you.

Agreed it's contrary to what usually happens, but I believe I've had sales which were percentage additive. IIRC there was a Hecht's sale like that. 10% off, bring in the 25% coupon from the paper, get 35% off in toto.
The clerk may not have been "Huckleberry Dumbbell" but *could* have been ringing things up as instructed.
It's tough condemning someone before all the *facts* are in.
-- Mark

discount off retail, with another 10% for orders over $1000. That type of thing was standard in the industry; the hardware industry as a matter of fact. Anyhow, once or twice a year somebody would give me a hard time over why they only got a 55% discount, rather than a 60% discount. It didn't happen often, but it was sure aggravating when it did. I suppose with ten thousand customers, some of them are bound to have new and undertrained clerks now and then.
I haven't seen the Hecht's sale, but I suspect it wasn't like that; I've never seen one that was.

I agree they're rare. I agree it's probable the clerk made a mistake. But I hate to see the OP condemned before all the facts are known... ;-)
-- Mark

All true. And all the guy had to do was simply ask if the clerk did it right. And he didn't so that speaks volumes to me.
Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel wrote:

This is a long thread and you may have missed it. He bought several items and didn't notice it till he got home.
Now, should he call the store up? <g>
-- Mark
pfft!
Congrats on the gloat!
A "gloat," by it's very definition, is a sly or malicious pleasure - typically at another's expense. With very little effort perusing this newsgroup, you will find many such examples; some entirely innocuous, some a bit more in the gray.
For instance, price matching or percentage cash back is a method by which one vendor tries to gain competitive advantage over another. It is very common practice of the frequenters of this forum to knowingly manipulate this marketing method to their advantage when they know full well that one business or the other will lose out.
We then post that as a "gloat." "Hey everybody, look what I got away with! Look how I rooked the system!"
Saying this lucky fella is "stealing" is a bit much for me. Though can be typical of folks who are filled with a sense of righteous indignation mixed with a false bravado the anonymity of the Internet provides them.
Regards... and congrats! jbd

Sure and you can shave a few dollars off that income tax or coast through that stop sign. The US will continue to exist and your town will still be safe. But that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong. If that's the values you intend to teach your kids well, there's nothing more to say.
Dennis Vogel

nope you take off the 25% then take the 50% off of what's left. this does not come out to 75% off.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Actually, I bought several things, and didn't realize he rung it up wrong til I thought about it later and reviewed the receipt. It sounded right at the time.