Sliding T-bevel, marking guage

Larry,

I watched it. One thing that came to mind is it wouldn't be so easy to pound the tenon if he had one on each end of the beam.

I haven't seen anyone use any glue on these joints yet. They do glue them, don't they? Or not always?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:48:23 -0500, the infamous "Bill" scrawled the following:

Oh, his mortising video is on FWW and tenon cutting on YouTube. Cool.

OK, my opinion is that in this video, the tenon was just a bit too tight. My reasoning is twofold: once you get glue on it, the tenon tends to swell a couple thou, and too tight a joint leaves little room for glue and starves the joint. A well made M&T is strong structurally, so it can hold despite some starvation, but not too much. I'd have pared that tenon with a fine cut until it was, as Goldilocks said "Just right!"

Pound on the tenon? You should never have to pound. Tap the joint together, yes. Pound, no. That's too tight. You could damage something taking apart the test assembly.

The video in question was a quick demo. Glue is used in production in conjunction with LOTS AND LOTS OF CLAMPS. (All together now, boys: "You can never have too many clamps.")

Not always. In timberframing, they're pegged and they HAVE to be precise for strength.

-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was watching Frank Klausz pound his joint together in his M&T video! How is he going to separate that joint without the possibility of fracturing something?!

One thing I haven't see anyone do (which they do when they glue a banjo dowel rod) is to leave room for the glue to escape, by leaving a little path along the tenon. Evidently it's not necessary?

Consider the nature of the joint (emphasis on the tenon cheeks and mortise sides) I assume it's not an issue if the mortise is cut a little too deep, correct (better a little too deep, than a little too shallow!)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:38:00 -0500, the infamous Bill scrawled the following:

Most people can't make perfectly mating joints, so there's room for it to squeeze out or move into the mortise which is inevitably deeper than it needs to be.

Right. Then again, there are a few people who use massive gobs of glue and get squeezeout on all sides and squozen into every possible pocket underneath, but they learn quickly, usually. ;)