Sliding Dovetails

I'm making a shelf that will fit with a sliding dovetail. The shelf & carcase are 3/4", what is the rule of thumb for sizing the router bit? Can I use a 1/2" dovetail bit for this application?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Of course. You might also consider larger tails and a double pass making a wider groove, or leaving the top of the shelf flat and dovetailing the bottom. Lots of choices.

Mostly I opt for easy and use the bit which most closely matches the thickness of wood.

Reply to
George

Reply to
pat