Sliding Dovetails

I'm making a shelf that will fit with a sliding dovetail. The shelf & carcase are 3/4", what is the rule of thumb for sizing the router bit? Can I use a 1/2" dovetail bit for this application?
Thanks, Chris

Of course. You might also consider larger tails and a double pass making a wider groove, or leaving the top of the shelf flat and dovetailing the bottom. Lots of choices.
Mostly I opt for easy and use the bit which most closely matches the thickness of wood.
1/2 is a little vague, 1/2 shank, 1/2 cutting diameter, 1/2 flute length? Do as little insult to the panel as possible, providing max penetration, best pull strength with the least amount of waste. More on this & how to cut: See the http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?Site=woodworking&IDQ1 link. ******************************************************************** Chris wrote: