sliding doors in a bench

Hi folks,
I recently posted here asking for advice on modifying some bench plans I found on the web: http://tinyurl.com/sg0q . I'd like to ask for some more advice. I've decided to go with sliding doors instead of the swing out doors included in the plans. The problem is that I've already assembled the chest carcass (I'm on step 9), so I can no longer cut a groove to support the sliding door concept. Does anyone see a problem with me cutting a channel into a piece of stock (same length as the chest, 48") and then gluing one into place on the both the top and the bottom of the bench? I would use these nifty things I found at Lee Valley http://tinyurl.com/sg0l for the hardware. One problem I can see would be aligning the top and bottom channels so that they are on the same plane...any tips would be great!
Thanks for listening to this newbie ramble!

Stand cabinet on level surface, use plumb bob to align, mark length on string for parallel. The simpler the better. I used this method in larger scale for sliding doors on a built in wardrobe. They run very sweetly.
Peter
Thanks Peter. Any recommendations on hardware for the sliding doors? Do I even need hardware?

If you want free running with little maintenance then yes. The set you referenced looked very good, both in its ease of inserting the door and that there was adjustment on the bottom runners. Using it will also make it easier to remove the doors for maintenance without disassembling the carcase, some thing to bear in mind.
One thing to think about though is that you should wait to get the hardware before committing yourself as to design since you many need a rebate or facing strip to hide the hardware.
Peter