Sliding door (Pocket Door hybrid) (0/1)

Here are some picture samples. East wall kitchen.png East Kitchen wall, pretty close to final result. Lower right hand "blind cabinet" as normally designed Door shown could be hinged right or left but the actual door opening would be a maximum of 20 inches on a 48" cabinet.

Stove on left limits swing, dishwasher not shown limits the door opening as well, and although it could be hinged for a 105 deg swing the stile plus the spacer plate on the ff limit the access.

Sliding door.png

rough idea for sliding door. It would fit flush with the FF and look like a normal full inset door. The right stile of the door would be extra wide so as to act as a space where the dishwasher spacer meets up with it, (a slight gap between the two) This way the door can slide all the way to the right for full or maximum opening. Right behind the ff would be the normal brackets for the drawers that slide from the hidden part into the cabinet you would have normal access to.

Sliding door top.png

Shows a "T" inserted into the door frame. While it shows as about 3/4 the length of the door, I would actually make it in two pieces so as to minimize any drag when opening of closing. The brown colored piece is screw to the top of the frame so it can be removed for any reason, mainly for installation or removal of door once in place.

Sliding door bottom.png

Shows the bottom of the door with a straight insert. It two can be in two pieces and the amount extruding from the door is shallower than the groove of the bottom rail. It will allow for stuff falling into it without jamming the door, and should be vacuumed out periodically.

Slides are none reacting SS or a polymer (slicker than snot plastic) both top and bottom. with the edges filed at an angle / or \ slightly to allow easy movement.

Idea is mine, not for resale, but for usage by all who have helped me, if you find it has any use for you.

Reply to
OFWW

File descriptions for

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
OFWW

OK, I see where you posted them. I didn't see them before because you changed the subject and that act started a new thread.

I can't see the pix because my server doesn't carry that group but from your description what you are making is a sliding door, not a pocket door. I'm afraid the concept of sliding doors was devised long before you thought of it.

I have a question: you have two cabinets at 90 degrees to each other and the sliding door is to access drawers in one leg of the "L that slide into the other leg of the "L", right? If so, why not just but the drawers in the leg for which you want a sliding door? ___________________

Reply to
dadiOH

I have no doubt, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything for this purpose. I could make the top and bottom rails of the door with tongues, and the top and the bottom rails of the FF with grooves, but the longevity of it may not be there.

Yes, two at 90 deg (a blind cabinet, I was corrected by Swingman)

The blind cabinet has two drawers that slide into the side normally accessed by the door, and that one has two full access slides which have to be fully extended in order for the blind side to be usable.

Here is a short video of a similar cabinet.

I just saw this video by Matthias, interesting as always, but the part at the very beginning is something I was hoping to address with a sliding door, as he was accessing the cabinet his door was slamming against the adjoining cabinet. He also showed the problem with hinges a little later on.

OFWW

Can you access abpw?

Not sure if this is the same pics, he referred to, posted on that other group.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yes. Thanks Sonny.

Reply to
dadiOH

Much clearer now, thank you. So you will need to remove the two full access slides in order to access the two drawers. All in all, I;m glad I designed our kitchen so that there are no cabinets at 90 degrees and adjacent to another :)

Actually, I just finished doing something similar to what you are doing. The vanity I built for my wife has a makeup table at 90 degrees to the vanity at one end; that end butts against a wall as does the makeup table. Having lived on my sailboat for 10 years, I abhor wasted space so I built a stack of drawers as a pullout; the pullout pulls out under the makeup table and the drawers then pull out at 90 degrees to the travel of the pullout itself.

Unlike your situation, the only thing occupying space under the makeup table would be my wife's feet so the pullout of drawers was a (relatively) easy fix. Of course, when she wants to access the drawer stack she has to move her feet so I made a nice little mahogany bench on casters :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Cool!

In my case I currently have two such corners with wasted space, meaning nothing is there, and no access available to it. I want to rectify that as I redo the kitchen and maximize the storage space.

I have the usual "U" layout for the kitchen.

Reply to
OFWW