sliding door help

My shop is divided into two rooms connected by a 4'x7' doorway. I would like to hang a sliding door so I dont have to heat both sides. I plan to use 1/2" thick plywood for the door. Can anyone tell me where I can find the right hardware for this job? It doesnt have to be pretty, just functional. Thanks.

Reply to
Dan-o

There are heavy rollers and tracks for sliding closet doors, or you can put some small casters on the bottom, and at the top use the u shaped stock that is used to surround lattice for a deck.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Reply to
jo4hn

the borg, at least in our area, carry sliding door hardware similar to "Norms" door. I have one between my shop and the garage. i used 2x for a frame with 3/8" ply on both sides and rigid foam board for insulation.

Bruce

Dan-o wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Try going to a salvage yard and finding a sliding door. Or, if you are in the Dallas area, you can take mine in trade for a nice french door ;)

Reply to
Jay

Dan-o

1/2" ply is a pretty flimsy door, won't keep the cold out and subject to warp. I recommend sandwiching 1" ridgid foam between two pieces of 1/4" ply. Rip some strips slightly over 1" to run around the edges and down through the middle. Be sure to build the door on an absolutly flat surface so you don't build a warp into the door.

Pocket or sliding door hardware is widely available from companies like Hettich or Hafele. Get the kind with double rollers on an I beam shaped track rated for 175 to 200 lbs.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have the same set up, for the same reason...as mentioned, you're looking for sliding barn door hardware plus a suitable length of matching trolley rail and enough brackets to hang it. (much sturdier than closet door hardware, BTW, and won't come off the track.)...Found at the local lumberyard; as i recall, mine's made by National and cost something under $50 total...Have found that 3/4 inch MDO makes a nice door, but 1/2 plywood should work okay too, though the hardware assumes something thicker.

Reply to
Woodstock

Home depot sells sliding door hardware. Costs about $15.00 for a 60" long set. Consists of one top track , four rollers, bottom plastic divider and flush pulls.They're made for 1/38" doors, but you could use them with 1/2" plywood. The divider at the bottom would be a sloppy fit however. I would buy a couple of flush doors instead of using plywood. They are inexspensive, probably less than plywood.

mike

Reply to
mike

I just finished building my track door and installed it using the hardware and track from National.

hardware was carried here locally by a hardware store that has been in business for years. Stanley Hardware also has the hardware for these type doors. They usually advertise from two weights limits on doors, around 200 lbs to 450 lbs I used the hardware for a 450 lb door, with a 12 foot track. Cost a little over $75 for what I needed for my outside door. The hardware for a 250 lb door is less. I built my door using 5/4 X 6" deck boards and T1-11 siding screwed to the

5/4 with deck screws. Backed with 5/8 plywood on the other side, also attached with deck screws about every 6" apart. Two pieces of 5/4 down each 1/3 of the width as nailers between the joints. Door size was 6' wide X 7' tall. Trimmed the ply with flush trim bit, one side with a top bearing bit and the other with a bottom bearing bit. Also trimmed the hole in wall with a bottom bearing flush trim bit. Made a lot better job than just cutting out with a saw C Cole
Reply to
C Cole

distribute here through Pemko...it is the good stuff.

Lawrence Brothers had good stuff too but is now sold and named Lawrence Hardware.

Reply to
Patriots' Blood