Sliding compound miter saws.

That would depend on your eye sight. You typically line up with a shiny pencil mark. If you stop mid stream you have a kerf to line up with. Not saying it would be hard but time consuming to get it perfect and you won't know if it is perfect until after you make the cut. My expectations are for better than a TS cut yours may not be.

For the Festool and the most secure, 2 bars, $15 each.

Well if as you say fairly straight is all you are looking for you might be happy but as I have mentioned before I am looking for better than TS results. Moving the track at all upsets the accuracy. Not moving the track at all will give you the straightest line.

Remember these saws are not framing/construction saws, they are made to produce very very straight and good cuts.

Reply to
Leon

I'm OK with it being a couple RCHes off. Aren't you?

OK, thanks. My $130 figure is about right, for the two connectors and an extra 55" section of track.

True.

It would be used on plywood and, hopefully/soon, foam board for signs.

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No.

Reply to
Leon

OK. I'm comfy with a 60-1/2 plane to soften any small ridge, but I guess it would depend on the necessity of absolute precision, wouldn't it? Each case would be different.

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is true however in my case I did not spend several hundreds of dollars for a saw that would yield slightly better results than a typical circular saw and a straight edge. I wanted equal to or better than TS performance and accuracy. And I knew that I would soon tire of having to fidget with the track if I could not make my complete cut in one pass. That I why I went the to the extra expense in the beginning so that I would get the full benefit of having this type saw. And again I am not saying that what you are thinking will be wrong for you and that my reasoning for my purposes is the solution for everyone. I just want to point out some of the things that you need to be aware of.

And as far as absolute precision is concerned I am sure that I am not getting it but from no fault of the saw so to speak. But the more little areas that can introduce error that are eliminated the less likely that small error amplifies itself several steps further along in the project.

Reply to
Leon

Grok that. Given funding, I'd have all the goodies, too.

Bueno, bwana.

Yuppers. Projects are only as good as we are (or care to be) with the tools we have to work with.

This is true on almost all projects, too.

-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like mine, except that its dust collection sucks. Even with a DC attached to the dust port it throws an incredible amount of dust around.

Reply to
krw

I like mine, except that its dust collection sucks. Even with a DC attached to the dust port it throws an incredible amount of dust around.

Reply to
TimDrouillard

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:40:01 -0500, "TimDrouillard"

I knew that comment would be forthcoming.

Reply to
Dave

For $1500, it's all I'd have to love. Well, that and the dog house. ;-)

Reply to
krw

First you say the dust collection sucks, then you imply that it doesn't work very well. Make up your mind, will ya?

;-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

I really sucks, everything but dust. ;-)

I bought one of the chop-saw hoods so it doesn't throw it everywhere. I think the problem is that the dust port is too high so there isn't enough suction at the blade to pull dust up to the port. There should be a "scoop" or something behind the blade to deflect the dust upward into the dust port.

Reply to
krw

yes, i went ahead and bought the 5412 and the dust port is a joke. It came with this little wire supported bag thingy and i've made maybe two dozen cuts and there is not one speck of sawdust in the bag. Having said all that, it doesn't bother me, because i have a broom and am gonna sweep up afterwards anyway. I expect saw dust in a wood working area.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Check the port for a large chip. It should work a helluva lot better. Haven't you hooked up a dust collector or shop vac to it? That should catch 95%.

My HF SCMS dust collector bag works pretty well, catching about 75%. I seldom use it on site, though. Grass is a very good collector and distributor of sawdust.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:30:23 -0600, Steve Barker

The first paragraph above is a comment you made from the SawStop thread and the second paragraph is you commenting about how a particular aspect of a tool is a joke.

Thanks for making my point. SawStop, dust hood, whatever, people talk. If the SawStop didn't perform to specs, people would talk. It doesn't mater what kind of prevention Gass might take, if the SawStop didn't work properly, we'd hear about it.

Reply to
Dave

Careful there Dave, you are flirting with what actually happens in the real world, this is a news group. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Bullshit!

This is moronic and this was explained before but your ignorant attitude won't let you see the denial in those statements.

Now go on and pretend you didn't see this but remember when you comment about it later, you look amazingly transparent,

again, no matter how many of your sock puppets agree with you.

The first paragraph above is a comment you made from the SawStop thread and the second paragraph is you commenting about how a particular aspect of a tool is a joke.

Thanks for making my point. SawStop, dust hood, whatever, people talk. If the SawStop didn't perform to specs, people would talk. It doesn't mater what kind of prevention Gass might take, if the SawStop didn't work properly, we'd hear about it.

Reply to
m II

no, i have no intention of hooking up yet another pita thing to the saw just to catch a little sawdust that will get swept up and vacuumed when the project is over.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ever heard any of these gear head geeks tell you their K$N filter did NOT improve their mileage and performance? I can tell you the science says they won't, AND they pass more dirt in the process of failing. Not ONE K$N filter owner will admit they wasted their money, and they know damn good and well it didn't do a THING for their piss ant vehicle they put it on.

Reply to
Steve Barker

very good point, Leon. It IS real world experiences that make the differences, not what some pencil pusher says a product will do.

Reply to
Steve Barker