Sliding compound miter saws.

Page 5 of 6

I have the Makita LS1013 too. I am quite pleased with it. Haven't used other models so can't say whether this one is better or worse. But it works very well. Don't understand the appeal of 12" blade models since they don't cut any wider. The 10" models will cut 4" or so deep. Adding another inch of depth with a 12" blade doesn't impress me.

I have the LS1013.
Where a 12" model definitely comes in handy is if you're doing a good deal of crown molding.
For ease of installing, crown molding is usually cut upside down on a jig of some sort, meaning you reduce the depth cut of the miter saw:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5684919370608839074
About the only time I wish I had something bigger than the 10" LS1013 ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 1/24/2012 1:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:37:19 -0600, Steve Barker

If you can afford the Bosch, go for it. It's a good choice. Those are nice saurs. I bought the HF 98194 because I wanted to be able to eat and pay my truck payment that month, too. Hmm, $800 or $160? It has been a workhorse for me and is easy to use. The difference in capacity between it and the old 10" Delta I had is unreal. 12" sliders are truly wondrous.
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Well, since you brought it up...
My amigo that builds decks and gazebos got tired of his good sliders being banged up at the end of the day when loaded into the truck. As you know, those big saws are fine when on a table, but unwieldy to handle.
He bought one of HF slider saws and took apart the glides and cleaned them all up. He showed me the rags; I am not sure they did any cleaning after machining and polishing. It was really full of dirty oil, metal powder, and unidentified crud. He put some light grease on part of it, graphite on the rest, and man is that thing smooth.
It is perfect for him. He bought the extended "no questions asked" warranty for it for something like $15, and he has used the crap out of it. He loves it. Of course, unlike his DeWalts and Makitas, he can't kill this saw or beat it to pieces from rough handling. We have decided that they must make it at the same plant where they make those unstoppable 4" grinders.
If I was doing more rough work, I wouldn't look any farther. They had the 12" slider on sale here locally, the same one he bought, for $139. For a guy on a budget, or one that knows his specific use for a tool that's pretty tough to beat.
Robert
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:05:34 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

You mean the unstoppable $10 4" grinders, right? <g>

If I were making furniture, I might rethink it, but this is mostly for decks. I'm also still eyeing a plunge cut saw as a replacement for Dina. That will leave me with the little Ryobi portable table saur.

Good to hear.
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

I like mine, except that its dust collection sucks. Even with a DC attached to the dust port it throws an incredible amount of dust around.
I love my Festool.
wrote in message wrote:

I like mine, except that its dust collection sucks. Even with a DC attached to the dust port it throws an incredible amount of dust around.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:40:01 -0500, "TimDrouillard"

I knew that comment would be forthcoming.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:40:01 -0500, "TimDrouillard"

For $1500, it's all I'd have to love. Well, that and the dog house. ;-)
On 01/29/2012 10:40 PM, TimDrouillard wrote:

First you say the dust collection sucks, then you imply that it doesn't work very well. Make up your mind, will ya?
;-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I really sucks, everything but dust. ;-)
I bought one of the chop-saw hoods so it doesn't throw it everywhere. I think the problem is that the dust port is too high so there isn't enough suction at the blade to pull dust up to the port. There should be a "scoop" or something behind the blade to deflect the dust upward into the dust port.
On 2/1/2012 9:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

yes, i went ahead and bought the 5412 and the dust port is a joke. It came with this little wire supported bag thingy and i've made maybe two dozen cuts and there is not one speck of sawdust in the bag. Having said all that, it doesn't bother me, because i have a broom and am gonna sweep up afterwards anyway. I expect saw dust in a wood working area.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:30:23 -0600, Steve Barker

Check the port for a large chip. It should work a helluva lot better. Haven't you hooked up a dust collector or shop vac to it? That should catch 95%.
My HF SCMS dust collector bag works pretty well, catching about 75%. I seldom use it on site, though. Grass is a very good collector and distributor of sawdust.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 2/1/2012 10:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

no, i have no intention of hooking up yet another pita thing to the saw just to catch a little sawdust that will get swept up and vacuumed when the project is over.
--
Steve Barker
On 2/2/2012 4:57 PM, Steve Barker wrote: .

I have to agree with you here Steve that what is the point of hooking up a vac if you is not going to save you any clean up trouble.
BUT there are exceptions In a closed environment the vac will collect most of the fine particles which you may be be breathing in otherwise. It would be more of a safety health issue.
Vac out doors no, in doors yes.
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:32:18 -0800, Larry Jaques

Nope. No factory installed wood chips. ;-) If it catches 1%, it's a lot.

Yes, my HF SCMS works reasonably well with a vacuum. The Bosch, not so much.

Outside is one thing, in the house is a different kettle o' fish. The HF goes outside, where dust isn't a problem. ;-)
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:30:23 -0600, Steve Barker

The first paragraph above is a comment you made from the SawStop thread and the second paragraph is you commenting about how a particular aspect of a tool is a joke.
Thanks for making my point. SawStop, dust hood, whatever, people talk. If the SawStop didn't perform to specs, people would talk. It doesn't mater what kind of prevention Gass might take, if the SawStop didn't work properly, we'd hear about it.
On 2/1/2012 11:32 PM, Dave wrote:

Careful there Dave, you are flirting with what actually happens in the real world, this is a news group. :~)
On 2/2/2012 11:22 AM, Leon wrote:

very good point, Leon. It IS real world experiences that make the differences, not what some pencil pusher says a product will do.
--
Steve Barker