Sliding compound miter saws.

can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

tiredofspam

Some spell checkers are like the Harbor Freight power tools I've had the misfortune to use (but not own)... they almost get the job done. ;~)

As a kid I grew up in the 60s and 70s when corded hand tools were becoming popular for homeowners. I didn't have a chance to work with good woodworking hand tools as a kid... It took working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA, at the transition from my 20s to 30s, to learn that you can do fine work with no electric. The net result of those experiences is that I've got a lot of nice, sharp and well maintained hand tools and my kids use them...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

>How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is

That's jaw opening, not cutting depth.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I don't believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about

50% of their price.
Reply to
Steve Barker

>>> How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that

that capacity is measured back at the fence where they use the back of the blade and a cutout in the housing to cut tall trim. Yes, i agree, it's kind of like including the 2.5 foot stickout of a swim deck in the length of a boat when it shouldn't count at all. LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

You don't know what you are talking about. I think if you really check out there tools you would understand. But your indication your a newbie, and you know it all.

Sawst> >> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
Steve Turner

Good usage of "your a newbie" and "there tools" to demonstrate group ownership!

LOL

----------

You don't know what you are talking about. I think if you really check out there tools you would understand. But your indication your a newbie, and you know it all.

Sawstop, Festool... yep, your a troll, or an idiot or both. Shut up and learn something.

Reply to
Josepi

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:27:08 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

Speaking of sharpness, to this day I hate sharpening tools. So much so, that I've seriously considering the purchase of a Tormek 7. Anything to make the job easier and faster.

I don't remember anyone here saying they use one. They've only been out about a year, so maybe they haven't be out long enough.

Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:46:02 -0600, Steve Barker

Then, you are the exact type of person who should try it out. Festool has a great capacity for dust control. That includes routers and sanders which is aside from the capability of their tools.

The Festool Owners Group is full of people who were of the same opinion as you. You should check it out.

Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:07:12 -0500, "Josepi"

A few spelling errors doesn't for one second negate the fact that he's smart enough to know which tools are worth investigating. Your dismissal of that fact speaks volumes.

Reply to
Dave

i'm not so closed minded as to never explore. Got a link?

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:19:16 -0600, Steve Barker

the group is not just Festool centric. They discuss all brands of tools and other things, minus the politics and the cursing about SawStop.

Reply to
Dave

Well, since you brought it up...

My amigo that builds decks and gazebos got tired of his good sliders being banged up at the end of the day when loaded into the truck. As you know, those big saws are fine when on a table, but unwieldy to handle.

He bought one of HF slider saws and took apart the glides and cleaned them all up. He showed me the rags; I am not sure they did any cleaning after machining and polishing. It was really full of dirty oil, metal powder, and unidentified crud. He put some light grease on part of it, graphite on the rest, and man is that thing smooth.

It is perfect for him. He bought the extended "no questions asked" warranty for it for something like $15, and he has used the crap out of it. He loves it. Of course, unlike his DeWalts and Makitas, he can't kill this saw or beat it to pieces from rough handling. We have decided that they must make it at the same plant where they make those unstoppable 4" grinders.

If I was doing more rough work, I wouldn't look any farther. They had the 12" slider on sale here locally, the same one he bought, for $139. For a guy on a budget, or one that knows his specific use for a tool that's pretty tough to beat.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You mean the unstoppable $10 4" grinders, right?

If I were making furniture, I might rethink it, but this is mostly for decks. I'm also still eyeing a plunge cut saw as a replacement for Dina. That will leave me with the little Ryobi portable table saur.

Good to hear.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well that is the way I felt, then I bought the Domino and Ct22 vac. IMHO the tools that I have bought from Festool make most all brands that I have owned and still own, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Porter Cable, and Milwaukee, seem inadequate.

Because of the quality and added usefulness of many of the Festool tools I have added the Rotex Sander, Finish sander, Track Saw, and the C15-3 drill.

The Domino is the priciest of all my tools but I have cut in excess of

4,000 mortices with it in the last 4 years, that has to have paid for the tool by now.

The Rotex sander replaced my old PC right angle ROS and until I used the Rotex I was convinced that nothing in that class removed stock any faster than the old PC and coupled with the vac I have 99.5% dustless sanding, so I am not breathing in dust and tracking dust into the house. With the Rotex sander I no longer use a belt sander any more.

MY Festool Finish sander replaced a PC SpeedBloc sander, I do not see a remarkable improvement in performance but again I don't have dust issues. and the paper lasts twice as long.

The Track saw makes cabinet saw quality cuts and can make final cuts. It is extremely proficient in putting a straight edge on S2S lumber and is the tool to use to make taper cuts.

Since adding the Festool C15-3 drill I have not used my Makita drill/driver or Makita Impact driver. The right angle and eccentric chucks are real problem solvers.

All of these tools save me lots of time and time is ....money.

AND BTY I would be the first to say that brand loyalty is not a good thing when it comes to power tools. I am sure that Festool has a few stinkers but probably far fewer than most brands. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And do you remember the old CRT monitors, 17" was actually 15.75", you were not suppose to count the part of the tube that provided no picture but the manufacturers did.

Reply to
Leon

Have you added any vortex/dust deputy to the Festool vacuum, as I have heard some people have done to reducethe number of times you need to empty the bag?

If so, which one?

Reply to
Han

Han I have used 6 bags in almost 5 years in my Festool vac. And I have been so busy in the last 18 months that I have probably used 3 bags.

At about $6-$7 per bag I am ok with replacing them and not having to deal with an extra piece in between me and the vacuum.

Unless you are talking about this, and I can probably buy 30 bags for this price. ;~)

{6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}I think these systems are interesting but besides saving $20 a year on bags I don't see much advantage, you still have to dispose of the waste and make room for the unit.

Reply to
Leon