Sliding compound miter saws.

Page 2 of 6
Leon wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)27427361&sr=1-1 How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?
--
Gerald Ross

Sorry, I forgot all about the Amnesia Conference!

That's jaw opening, not cutting depth.
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson
On 1/24/2012 5:10 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

that capacity is measured back at the fence where they use the back of the blade and a cutout in the housing to cut tall trim. Yes, i agree, it's kind of like including the 2.5 foot stickout of a swim deck in the length of a boat when it shouldn't count at all. LOL!
--
Steve Barker
On 1/24/2012 9:47 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

And do you remember the old CRT monitors, 17" was actually 15.75", you were not suppose to count the part of the tube that provided no picture but the manufacturers did.
Read the specs really carefully....
Normally it says "vertically nested" for crown mold.
Which means it's leaning against the fence not standing straight up.
Go here and compare a 10" & 12" saw side by side.
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categories/machinery-miter-saws.aspx#
On 1/24/2012 3:10 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

That's what people are starting to realize ... that the mfg. have decreased some of the parameters so that a 12" saw doesn't really cut anything larger than a 10" saw.
They will wait until enough 12" saws have been peddled and then drop the new improved capacity units on the market. **SIGH**
------------- "Pat Barber" wrote in message
Read the specs really carefully....
Normally it says "vertically nested" for crown mold.
Which means it's leaning against the fence not standing straight up.
Go here and compare a 10" & 12" saw side by side.
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categories/machinery-miter-saws.aspx#
On 1/25/2012 1:04 PM, m II wrote:

you have to consider that the "tip" speed of the blade may make better cuts also. Given the first two saws in this example, the 10 and 12 inch dewalts, the 12" running at 3800 will produce a tip speed of about 135mph, the 10 inch running at 4000 is only 112mph. I'm not saying this is a great big deal, because i don't really know. But i can tell you from experience that on lawnmowers, "tip" speed is the name of the game. The faster, the better the cut.
--
Steve Barker
There is teeth count to consider also but within limits of it's clearing ability. (teeth get too small)
----- "Steve Barker" wrote in message
you have to consider that the "tip" speed of the blade may make better cuts also. Given the first two saws in this example, the 10 and 12 inch dewalts, the 12" running at 3800 will produce a tip speed of about 135mph, the 10 inch running at 4000 is only 112mph. I'm not saying this is a great big deal, because i don't really know. But i can tell you from experience that on lawnmowers, "tip" speed is the name of the game. The faster, the better the cut.
On 1/25/2012 2:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

A blade with 20 teeth turning at 4000 rpm will produce as smooth of a cut as a 40 tooth blade at 2000 rpm assuming feed rate is the same for both.
SO you do not have to have a 80 tooth cross cut blade to produce a smooth cut if you simply feed a 40 tooth blade at about half the speed.
But yes the faster the blade spins with all things being equal the smoother the cut will be.
Bullshit!
Coarser teeth take larger bites and make more grain splits no matter how slow you feed the work.
------------ "Leon" wrote in message
A blade with 20 teeth turning at 4000 rpm will produce as smooth of a cut as a 40 tooth blade at 2000 rpm assuming feed rate is the same for both.
SO you do not have to have a 80 tooth cross cut blade to produce a smooth cut if you simply feed a 40 tooth blade at about half the speed.
But yes the faster the blade spins with all things being equal the smoother the cut will be.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:37:19 -0600, Steve Barker

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.
On 1/24/2012 11:39 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Great tool. I got an almost new Makita LS1013 at a local pawnshop for $300. Does that count as a gloat?
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:56:11 -0700, Just Wondering

Almost new, if true, IMHO, you suck.
On 1/24/2012 12:56 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

absolutely!
--
Steve Barker
On 1/24/2012 12:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year, until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.
--
Steve Barker
Like when the Slide-Stop kicks in? I have never jammed my cheapies.
------------ "Steve Barker" wrote in message
I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year, until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can consider your money really gone.
On 1/24/2012 4:33 PM, Dave wrote:

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I don't believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about 50% of their price.
--
Steve Barker
You don't know what you are talking about. I think if you really check out there tools you would understand. But your indication your a newbie, and you know it all.
On 1/24/2012 10:46 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Good usage of "your a newbie" and "there tools" to demonstrate group ownership!