Sliding compound miter saws

Page 1 of 2
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with a ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability. I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.
TIA. Max

I have a Hitachi C10FSH (10") and I can crosscut a 1x12 with no problems. I think it could go maybe 1/2" further, but I've never really tried.
With my saw I've cut 2' wide pieces of plywood with no problems by just flipping it over and lining it up. The only thing I don't like is the handle. It's parallel to the blade, not perpendicular, and makes left hand cutting a PITA.
-Nathan
"Max" wrote in message

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a 10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which do.
A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut capacity.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-( Thanks,
Max
The Makita LS1013 you can control the depth of cut, it does make pretty nice dado's using a Freud blade. Just mark the borders with a scribe and have at it.
Jon

And conveniently enough, the LS1013F is at Amazon for $499, plus you get a $50 gift card for another purchase at Amazon. Not too shabby!
Ditto for Bosh 4410. Depth of cut control, no problems making dados, very comfortable, dual bevel, front control, precise. Highly recommended, I simply love it.

* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *

The only way I know of to get a 12" to go all the way up to a 16" cut is to buy or use a special accessory that raises up the level of the table to the maximum diameter of the blade. I'm pretty sure DeWalt makes one, but I don't know anything else about it.
<snip>

My brother bought the 12" and loves it... sliding or not, he figures bigger is better..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:43:23 -0600, "Max"

tools-plus.com. They will have discounts on those days. Their prices are usually as good as Amazon or close. I got my TS ,jointer and planer from them. Look at the Makita LS1214FL Compound Miter Saw. $599 now and maybe 10% off on above dates.

I can hold !! If I'm buying someplace besides Amazon the prices have to be *better*. I have gotten very good service from Amazon. But, Thanks.
Max

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on one ... yet.
Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades, especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for different tasks.
Mark
p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the Makita LS1013
"redbelly" wrote

It hadn't occurred to me to consider different blades. How many different tasks could one do with a *miter* saw?
Max

I was thinking more of cutting different materials with it. If you're just going to cut wood, and never plastic, aluminum, or steel, then probably one blade would suit you.
Mark

I have a chop saw for steel. And a power hack saw. And a cutting torch. Can't say for sure that I would never want to cut plastic or aluminum. Hmmm.
Max

I don't have a slider, so I pretty much use a "general purpose" blade on it..
Comparing a slider to a RAS, however, I'd want both a cross cut and plywood blade, I think..
I use crosscut, rip, dado and plywood blades on the RAS, so would you use the same on a CMS with a slider?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

No. You don't need a rip and can't use a dado. The arbor isn't long enough.
Max There are two features you would lose. The first is dado. The second is the ability to set the cut depth. Never tried this on my sliding compound. What you gain is very fast and easy and accurate angle changes and space. BTW make sure you get the right blades for the SCMS. Really ugly things happen with wrong blades, I will personally attest to this. Certain Brother in Law swapped a blade out without checking what he put in. VERY VERY UGLY AND VERY DANGEROUS THINGS HAPPEN Keep in mind the Dewalts use a belt drive, most others are direct drive. Not sure that matters, but I would keep a spare belt if I had a DeWalt. Good luck
Paul

"goaway" wrote

Thanks, Paul I very, very rarely cut dadoes with a saw. I use a router. *Mostly* because of the odd sizes for plywood ( I have the odd size bits) and the ease of setting up. (I have 9 routers) And I have (homemade) cutting guides for three of them.
I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive. http://tinyurl.com/275qu3
I'm giving that saw some serious consideration. You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.
Thanks again for the input.
Max
<snip>

complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as accurate as non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth.. Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?