slatted bed-base - any tips please?

I've got an old but physically unsound french bed and I want to build a crude but free standing support structure with its own legs within the bed's existing side rails. To this end, I've just bought 15 x 140 cm slightly bowed plywood slats. Can anyone give offer any insight as to how the slats are normally fixed onto the side rails? I've noticed many slatted double bed bases seem to have a solid centre rail.
help appreciated.
Typically the end of the slat is affixed with a screw to a ledger on the side of the rail. Running a solid center rail will stiffen things up a bit when the loading on the bed is not even as it spreads a point load across more of the slats. Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
Why not repair/reinforce the unsound bed instead of making a new structure inside it?
-j

intrinsically a weak design - although my own bed isn't antique it seems to embody all the worst aspects of the original it's copied from. Also, the side rails are much to low for my liking so I want to raise the base by 6 or 7 inches anyway.

J wrote:

will also help stop it giving way.....Kev ended up in hospital when his failed (no king post)
I'm sorry, I can't offer much guidance aside from pointing you to the book "Beds" by Jeff Miller. It is an excellent resource for bed design IMO. It comes with plans for around 10 beds, but the techniques are what make this book truly worth having. Most (all?) of his beds use slats which are held in place by dowel pins on the rails and slots cut into the ends of the slats.
It just so happens that I am beginning work on my own bed. I've been looking for a good source for a slat set and have been utterly unsuccessful. I saw a bed in a furniture store with flexible plywood slats which were inserted into slots in a square steel tube rail on either side of the bed. I'd love to get my hands on that, but it seems silly to spend 5000 for a set of slats. Your post is the next closest thing I have found. Any chance you'd be willing to share your source? Thanks in Advance and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Would that be to allow some movement when the slats are flexed?

I'm in france and have picked these up from a DIY chain called Mr Bricolage (I haven't yet figured out why they don't call themselves Monsieur Bricolage). They're pretty unexceptional and expensive I think at 80 euros for the set of 15. I've also spotted a slatted bed-base which seems to me to be good value from a chain called IKEA
http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId 101&storeId&productIdB685&langId=-1&parentCats103*13740
- they're pretty much world-wide although the european model appears to be available in 3 different widths . Also they appear to have given the design a bit of thought where spine-support is concerned. I also like the way they've used a sort of rubber anchor for the slats. I'm seriously thinking of buying this and returning my slats to Mr Bricolage if I can modify their design to fit my weird bed.
<snip>

Try this for some inspiration:
http://www.sleepworks.com /
Patriarch

They're not. If you fix them, they squeak,.
Instead you should merely locate them. Most beds I've made are welded steel, so I just weld an upstanding pin and drill a hole in the slat (4" x 3/4" softwood, or ash if it's good work). Then place the slat on top, thump it to mark the pin position, then drill the slat to fit the pin.
For wood, drive a screw in and cut the head off. You can do this by pre-driling the slates neatly, avoidng the need to number them and tie them to particular positions (welding is a wobbly process, unless you spend an age on it).
The really quick way is just to lay them loose and staple a tape in place (underneath) to hold them roughly in place.
--
Smert' spamionam

Yes I suspected this would be the case

thanks for the reply. I've now purchased the IKEA slats which I'll use as you suggest here.
If anyone else is interested, IKEA (no I'm not on their payroll sadly) do an amazing range of slat kits at ridiculously low prices.
The type I've just bought (called SULTAN LILLKER) incorporate an adjustable double slatted section for the central hip area (perhaps this would obviate the need for the humping post suggested by another poster?) and two outside rubberized spacing strips to keep the slats in place as well as providing an additional element of suspension. They're dirt-cheap. These seem to come only in 70/80/90 cm sizes but can be combined to suit.

OK, come back when they've split and you need to make some real ones.
Bed slats are probably the worst thing you can buy from Ikea. They're the absolute epicentre of Ikea's "Simplificate and remove quality" design process. They're made of solid timber, which is a material with a high price / quality dependency (always a bad sign in Ikea) and they're invisible so that they can use the very worst quality and get away with it.
I shop in Ikea a lot. My two rules are to never buy anything for its original purpose (how I came to buy a kit-form Trebuchet from them). Alternatively to only buy things made of materials that they can't ruin by switching to a cheaper grade; glass, cast aluminium, cardboard. Timber is something I particularly avoid - past experience, particularly with solid timber, particularly with bed frames, have been most disappointing.
Mind you, I bought some red glass candleholders there on my last visit. Wondered why they were marked "no dishwashers" until I realised the "red" glass was only painted !
--
Smert' spamionam

I'll let you know when it happens....