Slab of Wood for >$20,000 Anybody?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:13:50 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Well, I can see it disappearing very quickly if the business ever got burgled. Only problem is that you need a big hand truck to get it out the door.

About USD125 per Board Foot. Not completely unreasonable. In the same range as brazillian rosewood.
Claro Walnut slabs are available here: http://bakerhardwoods.com /
scott
I'm wondering if the best thing to do with these flinches is to cut them up as veneers? I am looking at wild grain on these and no boardroom table I've ever seen has natural edges.
The problem is where do you go and get the veneer's cut? That requires a lot of skill and a huge resaw.
MJ
On 02/10/2012 12:03 PM, MJ wrote:

I'd be surprised if that wood wasn't unstable as hell. Looks like it would have stress and shrinkage cracks all over the place. While on the one hand it seems like a shame to cut up such a large slab of gorgeous wood, what could you possibly construct from it that would a value would exceeding the price of the wood? Other than creating some esoteric piece of art that would be "valuable" only to an elite few with too much money on their hands, it seems like cutting it up into veneers or smaller sections would be a better way to "stretch" the value and beauty of the wood.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Man that will take a lot of cutting to fit it all in the fireplace

Speaking of fireplaces, can you see taking some of that slab wood and making some nice fireplace furniture? I am not sure how you would do it. It would probably have to be a rustic or primitive style, nothing fancy. But that grain and a nice finish job, everybody would be looking at the wood and not at the fire.
That would be an awkward size to work with. Not many garage shops could handle a project like that . Either budget wise or size wise.
Dave wrote:

At that minimal thicknes, you'd have to make a FLAT-SIDED lampshade. Not enough to turn one on a lathe.