skylight/rooflight

I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder i

anyone has a plan/drawing for one. Thank

-- oilyboy

Reply to
oilyboy

I like building stuff as much as the next guy, but in this case, I think my plan would be to case my local BORG for one on sale. The ones around me seem to have them pop up now and then, presumably from being misordered or not picked up.

todd

Reply to
todd

My thoughts if you need help here, find and hire a competent contractor.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

No offense, but this isn't a good project for an amatuer. One of the houses I lived in had 3 skylights installed by professionals. Eventually, they all leaked (as did most of them in the neighborhood). They appeared to be installed correctly, but over the years developed leaks.

Every neighbor I knew of in the development had a similiar problem.

If you want more light in the room, how about adding an overhead light with nice full spectrum daylight bulbs?

Yes, I'm biased, but I would never want another house with a skylight again. Going up on the roof in December (and risking life) to tear it out a reshingle that part of the roof so it doesn't leak gets old.

I imagine it would be even more difficult on a flat roof.

Reply to
bf

Amen.

Yep. I've known several people with skylights in their homes. I don't know anyone who had a skylight that didn't leak.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've had skylights in my roof for over 15 years, with never a single leak. Something is very wrong with your installation and the installations in your neighborhood. I live in the northeast where we get a lot of snow and our roof systems go through quite a bit. I know lots of folks with skylights and leaks are just not common on a properly installed skylight.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike, is yours a flat roof like the OP's, or is yours a pitched roof?

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Mine is a 3/12 on the back of the house. The front is steeper but the back is a very shallow pitch. Skylights should work on a flat roof just as well since there really is no such thing as a truly flat roof. All roof structures have some pitch to drain water.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There is no reason it should leak. Roof vents, chimneys, ect are not a great source of problems, why should a skylight be any different? I would definitely recommend professional installation though.

Reply to
CW

I'd agree for those who are not familiar with roofing and it's idocyncracies. I installed my own and found that the manufacturer's instructions were dead on for a good install and the supplied matierials such as step flashing were the proper materials. I think even an inexperienced DIYer could have properly installed them by following the directions.

Reply to
Mike Marlow