skilled woodworker sought in NoVA

Hey gang,

I'm a Landscape Architect currently hip deep in a unique comission for a residential client in northern Virginia.

The design of this landscape calls for several 'specialized' outdoor structures, gates, fences, and doors. By specialized, I mean a blending of Japanese architectural elements and classic timberframing joinery. At least one exterior door will have to be completely custom made.

I doubt a single contractor could service all of these elements, but if you know of a woodworker/carpenter capable and interested in work, please feel free to let me know. Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

As in 'hip deep in the doo-doo'. Just funnin' ye lad.

I was under the impression the a lot of Japanese arch. elements were a type of timber framery. ( ? )

I think I would contact the Timberframers Guild for some folks in that area. IIRC they, The Timberframers Guild have a web site.

Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming

Japanese framing though. It's more different from American framing than either English or European framing is. You really need someone who works in the Japanese tradition, not only for the design, but even for the carpentry itself. An English framer can build American framing under an American architect or master carpenter (the carpentry of the joints is much the same, even if the design of the frames isn't), but they can't do Japanese unless they learn how to layout the joints and cut them.

I'd love to get involved in this job. Most of what I do myself is cabinetry, often with Japanese influences, but I also work with some local framers. Biggest piece of traditional Japanese framing I've yet got to work on was an aquarium stand, but I'd love to do a real outdoor piece. Sadly I'm in the UK, not VA.

Andy Dingley

Pssst, that is why I suggested the Timberframers Guild. They have folks in that organization that to the best of my recollection have studied Japanese Techniques either here in the USA or over in Japan. Folla?

Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming
  1. Thanks for the tips, they're appreciated.

  1. In fact I'd like to stick with american joinery as much as possible-- even though there are strong Japanese elements to the architecture (the concept is that of an abandoned monastic retreat), I'd still like to pay my homage to the site itself being, well, here.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Any decent joiner should be able to turn this out for you.

If you can draw it well enough for the builder to understand the design, you should have no problem.

I would beware of going for Traditional Japanese Carpentry, as it is based on the use of fish glue, which makes them go to extremes to create interfaces in the joinery, owing to the poor holding qualities of the adhesive, which is not necessary with modern adhesives.

I once made a Kyoto Temple Gate that looked just like the original but used the Gougeon Brothers epoxy system to create laminations that made sure that it would look just as good twenty years later (which it does) as it did the day I made it.

I like traditional japanese joinery as much as the next guy, but it is overly complicated for modern applications.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Tom,

any photos of that project? sounds very cool!

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Might suggest talking to Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield (have to look it up in the phonebook).

Reply to
Montyhp

:-)

Reply to