skil router

does anyone have any opinions on skil routers... more specifically the Skil 1815... or the skil brand in general?
thanks...
also if anybody has any experiences to share about grizzly and black&decker brands....
thanks

TThey sent a replacement switch for their belt sander 6 MONTHS after the order was placed!
On 29 Feb 2004 06:47:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote:

IMHO with Skil products and with the exception of the Model 77 worm drive circle saw the product is OK if you will use it one or two times. I would put B & D there also.

Skil

The Skil 18xx series is relatively new on the market, so there's not a lot of 'history' to go by for that specific equipment.
I"ve got the 1825, which is essentially the same unit, packaged with both the fixed and plunge bases.
It's only seen relatively light use so far -- and I don't use big bits -- but, to date, I'm quite happy with it. The soft-start, and variable speed are *nice* features.
I found the height adjust on the plunge base to be _very_ *counter-intuitive*, but once I got it doped out, it seems to work pretty well.
I *would* expect the higher-priced big-name 'professional' brands to hold up better under _heavy_ use. At 2 to 3 times the money, however, they damn-well SHOULD. <grin>
To my (admittedly _unexperienced_, as far as routers go) eye, the Skil looked like the best 'bang for the buck', _within_the_limitations_ of what I would likely be doing.