Skil Digital Angle Finder: huge mistake!

Page 2 of 4
dadiOH wrote:

The wrong angle. In the case of my original example, I would have a 20 degree gap in my joint.
--

-MIKE-

Only if you use the cutoff instead of the workpiece.
You do have to remember that with acute angles, the cutoff is on one side of the blade and with obtuse angles the cutoff is on the opposite side of the blade. Which is which depends on whether you use a left or right miter setting.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Ok, I'm beginning to picture this, now.
I still say they should program the chip so you have a choice of what angle you want displayed, kept side, cutoff side, left setting, right setting, whatever.
Like dadiOH wrote, if you have a 150 degree corner, you can't set the miter saw to 75 degrees, so why would they display that?
--

-MIKE-

That would have to cost extra.

For SCMS miters, what you really want is a modulo -45 display, not the simplistic modulo 90 and half angle. Dunno why you would want such a thing anyway. The vernier scale on my CMS is so faint I can't read it.

Because to cut an angle of 75 degrees, you set the gauge on the saw to 15.
Doug Miller wrote:

Right, that's why it would display that on the obtuse side. I'm thinking it's correct, but could still use some options for the display.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Praise be and hallelujah! At last...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I still contend that the little chip (which any computer programming freshman could do) should offer options for the user, depending on which way they want to measure the angle.
My 12" CMS goes to almost 50 degrees in both directions, which enables me to handle many slightly obtuse (carpenter was hungover) corner trim pieces.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Carpenter didn't have one of those handy gizmos like you do (or, he hocked his square); rocker was hungover :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Please ignore, major brain fart! Most days I understand that an angled cut across a straight member produces supplementary angles instead of complements. Only excuse I can offer is that maybe I was thinking of compound mitering crown molding where sometimes you keep the piece on the right and other times the piece on the left.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Mike,
I'll support you.
That seems like bug to me. Sure, you could to the math... but it forces the user to do:
If angle >90 then do math else take miter angle at face value
It's not just the math but the "do I have to do the math?" If you loose focus, you can take the wrong path.
It's like reading a tape measure from the 1" or the 10" mark and then subtracting the offset. Sure it's easy, but I have a wall in my kitchen which is out of square by one inch to prove that "easy" is not the same thing as "idiot-proof"
If you have 44.5 staring you in the face, it's really easy to set your miter angle to that number.
Do some trim carpenters always work from acute angles? It sure seems like a design flaw to me.
-Steve

StephenM wrote:

Thank you for actually reading my post. :-)
Yes, I guess it's not a brainfart on my part, but an actual design/programming flaw. Seems it would be pretty simple to program the chip with the ability to select acute/obtuse miter angle calculation.
--

-MIKE-

Did you try turning the gauge upside down to measure?

I stood on the ceiling for a while, but blacked out from the blood rushing to my head. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

OK, suppose it did. Suppose you have a 150 degree corner and you want to cut miters for it. The device tells you to set up a 75 degree cut. How do you propose setting that up?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That's easy: set the miter gauge at (90 - 75) = 15.
Doug Miller wrote:

You know what his reply is, now. "See, you had to do the math, anyway."
Like I said, the device should default to the rule, not the exception.
--

-MIKE-

Oh, I agree entirely. Like I said earlier, it's worse than useless, because using it is more effort than not using it. So why bother?
Doug Miller wrote:

pfft!
"using it is more effort than not using it"
That's funny.
--

-MIKE-

to save effort, such that using it to perform a task requires as much effort as doing that task manually, the tool is useless. If it requires more effort, it's worse than useless. What's amusing about that?