skil 1825 dual base router

Any experiences with this one? I think I heard somewhere it got some good bang-for-a-buck ratings, but I am interested in user experineces. Yeah, yeah...I know pros will scoff at it, but average users like myself - what's your take?

Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor?

Reply to
Newbie

I have it. So far, at least, it's worked just fine for everything *I've* asked it to do. Primary task having been routing slots to recess the wall 'standards' for holding shelves in new overhead kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well it sounds like you have your mind made up and you will not be using it as much as a pro. If this is not your first router then you certainly should know what you are looking for. Compared to many other brand routers it will probably be at the back of the pack. That is not to say however that it will not serve you well. I have been wood working seriously for almost 30 years and would not consider the Skil brand for any thing except their worm drive circle saw. You would need a hip/15 amp router along with variable speed for spinning horizontal raised panel bits or most any bit greater than 2" in diameter.

Reply to
Leon

| > Also, what projects would require stronger 3HP+ motor? | | | Well it sounds like you have your mind made up and you will not be using it | as much as a pro. If this is not your first router then you certainly | should know what you are looking for. Compared to many other brand routers | it will probably be at the back of the pack.

OK, perhaps you would recommend Hitachi's 31/4HP, Amazon's top rated one. Trouble is, they don't ship to Canada. Any alternatives for a budget of $US

150?
Reply to
Newbie

I have the Skil 1825 and I'm quite happy with it. For $99 a 2 1/4 hp router with a plunge base ain't bad.

BUT. Their are a couple of issues I have with it. Dust collection sucks. The dust port will NOT fit your shop vac. or d.c. system (with out an addon). The base won't accept P.C. bushings. After market bases that fit the router are hard to find. The edge guide is cheap plastic, no where near the quality of the P.C. or yellow beast.

I guess it's up to you it's your wallet.

YAB (Yet another Bob)

Reply to
rmc

Porter Cable, Bosch, DeWalt, or Makita would be the brands that I would look at in that price range. However, in that price range most are going to be in the 2-2.5 hp/12 amp range. For the big routers capable of spinning the big bits the Hitachi is probably going to be the cheapest. The big ones are going to be in the $300 range.

Reply to
Leon