Skil 11A Fixed/Plunge Router opinions please.

Any opinions on this router? Thinking on picking one up.
2 hp, 11A, no load (8,000-25,000 rpm) Variable-speed dial allows for easy bit adjustment to suit hard and soft materials 2-in-1 Interchangeable fixed and plunge bases; collet capacity: 1/2" and 1/4" Micro-fine depth adjustment for precise cuts Multi-pass quick adjustment for increased accuracy and a better finish Soft-grip handles provide added comfort and control 100% ball-bearing construction offers added durability SiteLightT built-in worklight for better visibility and accuracy Includes carrying case, router motor unit, and fixed and plunge bases Model No. 1825-04
No info on the router but Skil took SIX months to send a replacement switch to a repair shop!
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:13:55 GMT, "js"

IMHO Skil makes a darn good worm drive circle saw.
Everything else, go a better brand unless your use will be occasional.
aight. that one there is 160.00 canadian. i'm also looking at the Dewalt 2 HP plunge router for 289.00 canadian. i'd be happier with the dewalt you think? is two hp enough for rail, stile, and raised panel ?

I think in the long run the DeWalt will deliver and hold up better. Routers in the 9 to 12 amp range, "2 hp ish" will normally spin rail and stile bits just fine. You should however step up to a 15 amp, "3 hp ish" router to spin a horizontal raised panel bit and the router should certainly have a variable speed so that you can slow down the speed when using horizontal raised panel bits.
so in the long run, a 3 hp dewalt would be a better buy for me. excellent. thanks for the info.

Might want to take a look at the Amazon.com reviews before picking up the DeWalt 625. Lotsa burnt out motors on that one. Matt
Yeah i've settled on the Freud FT2000EP . aight price, good revies, and it does exactly what I need.
Now anyone have any experiences shipping to Canada from amazon? price, hassle etc? they have it at the local hardware store, but it looks like i'll save 80-90 bucks thru Amazon.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:50:44 GMT, "js"

I have the early model of that router, and it's been an absolutely rock solid workhorse for me.
excellent. Sounds like it will be a good choice. :)

I have the Freud and it has done everything I have asked of it... I am VERY happy with it!
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:03:47 GMT, "js"

Hi JS, It's my understanding that Amazon will not ship to Canada. As to choice of router, the Router man says if you can only have one, the Dewalt 621 (2 hp) is the one. My current favorite is the Triton sold by Busy Bee in Canada. Cheers, JG