Sketup Question

True troll sign there.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

He brings his own "luck" by repeating the same goofy mantra that is not just wrong and easy for a lazy guy that can't spell and suffers poor grammar, like me, to argue with, but silly, which adds to my entertainment.

I *respond* to anything that gives me entertainment. The quickest way to stop my fun is to stop saying stupid things. Other than that, you need to wait until I get bored, which will be somewhere between soon and never, my choice.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I never thought this topic would come up (at least not to this degree) in a woodworking forum, but while we're at it, I was the author of IBM's X86 macro assembler for OS/2, short-lived though it was. It was called "ALP", and we (95% *I*) wrote it to replace Microsoft's "MASM" when they split from IBM in the early nineties to focus on Windows, taking all their compilers with them... I also worked closely with IBM's C/C++ compiler lab in Toronto and the debugger lab in Lexington to make sure all the tools played well together. I also have some code in IBM Toronto's version of Microsoft's original linker (ILINK), mainly in support of building the OS/2 version of the Mozilla browser with GCC. Apart from perhaps CAD programs, compilers and linkers are some of the most complex software tools out there. Morris certainly has my respect. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Dennis still drops in on comp.lang.c from time to time.

I think you guys may have a lot more in common than either of you will ever admit here. :)

Take /lots/ of pictures. Please don't forget - I'd like to see it.

They did - I've regretted that I couldn't bring myself to spring for their commercial-duty lathe and shaper. These days I don't miss the shaper, but I still wish I'd bought the lathe.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The interface with the real world and the ability to create 'pretty pictures' makes SUPro look like a good deal then. The Freebee completely useless..................to me.

Now was that so hard?

Reply to
Robatoy

I am smarter and better looking than Steintroll.

Reply to
Robatoy

It may be true all trolls are entertained posting on Usenet, but all those so entertained are not trolls.

What are your motivations?

Reply to
Jack Stein

"Jack Stein" whined

Unlike real trolls, Robatoy actually has a job/business. He has actual skills, expertise and makes actual contributions to this newsgroup.

You on the other hand whine constantly and make out Rob to be some kinda villian. This is definitely troll type behavior.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

saying.

Also, the free SU allows you to Import 3D models and 2D graphics in many formats (DWG, DXF, 3DS, DEM, DDF and a range of image formats) I have no clue what any of those are, but didn't know you could import anything other than standard graphics like jpg's. I've imported jpg's in an effort to figure out how to design something from a photo, but never got very far. Tutorial looks OK but a little out there for my current interest level.

Also, not particularly clear is that SUfree can export a jpg of whatever you are designing/building. If you wanted to do a chalk drawing, or other artsy/fartsy stuff someone mentioned, you could use your favorite graphics program to do whatever to the exported jpg, assuming you have a fancy graphics program.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Not particularly hard, just a far cry from:

All of these statements are very misleading at best, total bullshit at worse. I'd call you RoboTroll rather than RoboCop, but I think you actually believe the stuff you say, unlike a "real" troll.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I see by your reply that Steintroll is still at it. If it isn't funny or constructive, I won't participate. Steintroll is neither. . . and thank you for the kind words.

PS. Somebody should explain to Steintroll what it means when one has been plonked.

Reply to
Robatoy

At least one of them is a CAD program format, AutoCAD, DWG.

If you down load and install Bullzip PDF you can export/print in BPM, ESP, JPEG, PCX, PDF, PNG and TIFF formats. The program is free and you can down load it from here,

if you don't use it for Sketchup it is worth installing and using. It installs as an extra printer and when you choose print if you select the Bullzip PDF printer as the printer to create a file in the above mentioned formats.

Reply to
Leon

What are they? They're CAD model and 3d data files. DWG are AutoCAD drawings; DXF are AutoCAD's interchange files; 3DS are StudioMax 3d models, a graphics and animation package. ...

Here's an example of what SU did with a relatively compact and efficient 3ds file:

11/30/2001 12:07 AM 1,940,906 f5e_05.3ds 03/09/2009 03:07 PM 22,902,677 f5e_05_3ds.skp

It started as a fully built out model of a Northrop F-5E, with working gear and control surfaces. Imported into SU, it's a static surface model, bloated to 20 times its original size and minus its camouflage textures.

Reply to
MikeWhy

"Leon" wrote

Great little utility program! Actually, I like Bullzip better than SketchUp. :)

Since you turned me onto it a couple of months back I use it many times daily. All the individual construction files, bids, invoices, plans, inspection sheets, insurance certs, etc, are all scanned into pdf files and stored on the "cloud" for safe keeping offsite. BullZip allows me to do the same with stuff generated in house without having to print it first.

Adobe was always too proud of their software for my budget.

Reply to
Swingman

"MikeWhy" wrote

Damn, wish I'd had a couple hundred of those "12 minute videos", on ANY topic, when first learning my way around AutoCAD years ago. :)

IMO, pretty damn unfair characterization, Mike. To be fair, there has always been a lot of initial "struggling at every step" with all CAD and Design software ... learning curves have traditionally been steep in the genre (SU is somewhat of an exception because its lack of depth as CAD tends to make the path easier), AAMOF, that is precisely what makes Rob's AutoCAD certification impressive and worthy of respect.

Nope, and it expressly, and unequivocally, doesn't pretend to be... something seemingly hard to grasp.

BTW, the FWW guys are a couple of woodworkers who are professed SU amateurs and simply sharing what they've learned as it pertains to woodworking, and mostly they do things the hard way ... go to the Google SU forums where the big boys play and you'll see that real quickly.

Reply to
Swingman

I stated it more strongly than it needed to be. Probably. All the same, the ignoramus finger pointing needed to stop. (Yesterday evening didn't go so well for me, and I came in this morning with a chip on my shoulder. Maybe seething, even. It was a "simple" flame finial. Would you care to guess the rest? ;)

Reply to
MikeWhy

NOT the dreaded flaming finial!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Say wot? Flame finials are works of art. Those are hard to make, even for an a-axis indexing lathe on a CNC. I like the brass ones, with the flame going a bit sideways in a mythical breeze. To carve those free-hand out of wood takes a deft hand...hell even a minwax hand! I ain't stirring shit! You must have me confused with someone else.

Reply to
Robatoy

Shit disturber! You really like to wallow in it don't you? :)

Reply to
Upscale

I don't have the time and patience to respond to all this drivel.

  1. I have made my comments about Sketchup. I am now considering it for a couple projects specifically for the Stylebuilder module.

  1. Whatever your problem with Robatoy is, your rampant paranoia and rabid demonization of his remarks hardly qualifies as any kind of objective commentary.

  2. It is obvious to me that you want to provoke and perpetuate a war of words. I am having nothing to do with this.

  1. And since your remarks are remarkably devoid of any real value, I will no longer subject myself to this form of newsgroup abuse.

  2. For someone who is overly pedantic about the definition of a troll, your behavior/comments are very troll-like.

  1. Plonk.

Reply to
Lee Michaels