Sketup Question

Page 5 of 9

Because I played with it.

I can see that you'd never need SUPro. You're not likely to do anything interesting enough.

We can't really talk about Pro as you don't own it. (Psssst, I did download it and looked at it intently, I commented elsewhere that I thought LayOut was quite usable.

I have no problem taking Swing's word for anything, it's your words I have a problem with. You just whine and whine away, baying at the moon. But what you should do, is take a look at Google's own SketchUp site and look at the comparison table that GOOGLE publishes, showing the differences between Free and Pro. You'll find there is a clear mention of import/export differences, one of which (.dxf) that I cannot live without. So, if FreeSU cannot export any of my work so I can use it, then WHY- THE-HELL should I bother looking at anything else that it might or might not do?
You know what, jack? I think you are too stupid to understand what 'wasting time' really means. Trying to talk some sense into you certainly qualifies as 'wasting time'.
Ahhh fukkit...
<plonk>
Robatoy wrote:

So I guess when YOU stated you didn't waste time learning SU, you were lying?

True. I have no need to export files to AUTOCAD, or any other CAD program. Is that what "blows the socks off" and "BOM" means? It is also true I don't do much interesting stuff, I have made cabinets of all sorts, desks, chairs, lamps, tables, and even entire kitchens with counter tops, complete with holes for sinks. Nothing really interesting to most wood workers, but just stuff most woodworkers seem to do, routinely. Happily, these are things SU, the free one, is really, really good at drawing.

I only talked about it based on what Swing said, and what I read on the site. "Blow the socks off" was not in the picture drawn by those in the know...
(Psssst, I did

You commented that the PRO blows the socks off the free one, opposite of what has been said on the SU site, and by users of PRO and the FREESU.

Hence, I quoted Swingman's words, but appears you have problems with his words as well as mine...
You just whine and whine away, baying at the moon.
Making fun of the silly things you say about me, and SU, is entertaining to me.
But what you should do, is take a look at Google's own SketchUp

Yes, everyone has told you that, it is amazing that the only difference is it's import export abilities, particularly since you can import and export jpg's, which is all plenty of WW's need. Those that need to export .DXF files can spend $600 on the pro version, and they can create DC's instead just reading them. Most ww's won't miss either, or even know what they are.

You shouldn't. On the other hand, if you want to list things that SU cannot do, you should make sure you "wasted enough time" with it to be right. You didn't and now you're out there twisting in the breeze. Soon you will be cursing, calling me stupid and plonking me...

Didn't take long...
I'm stupid, SU is not real, yadda yadda yadda!

Especially when you are so BAD at it...

There ya go!
--
Jack
I can see by the file sizes that these must be some kind of rants, wasting yet more time for Jack...but not for me.<victorious grin>

Apparently he is railing against your concerted campaign to keep people from taking advantage of a free drawing tool. I assume that he got tired of tilting windmills and decided that you would become his cause de jour. Aren't you lucky!
"Lee Michaels" wrote

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm not surprised you'd be in Stein's corner. He kisses your ass, while I won't.
"Robatoy" wrote

LOL ... seems Jack's sauce on your tail is itching you a bit, eh Rob. No damn wonder, looks like he's got your BS pegged down pretty tight from here.
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 10/22/08 KarlC@ (the obvious)

Too bad you can't compare notes with Stein on SU as he hasn't bought the version that has at least a little bit of functionality. Let's see if you can sell him.
Tell you what. Let's take up the subject of CAD again when you get one of these:
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=AutoCADLevel3D.jpg
BTW, the first two levels, I got a GPA of 4.0. The last one 3.87. That one was tough. No SU support.
"Robatoy" wrote

I quite arguing this a while back, but I will say, once again, that anyone with a cursory familiarity with both versions will tell you that you are dead wrong in that supposition.
Wail away at will, but it just simply ain't so.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=AutoCADLevel3D.jpg
That's is indeed quite an accomplishment, Rob ... my hats off to you. Well done!
Problem is, we have not been discussing a "CAD" program ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Simple question: Why would anyone pay for Pro? IOW, $ 500 for nothing?
"Robatoy" wrote

Can't speak for anyone else, but I upgraded to the Pro versions for two reasons only:
~ The added import/export features in the Pro version of the program.
~ The included Layout "presentation" program, which allows me to develop and print industry standard construction documents, based on the models created in the base program, for both and bidding and building purposes.
The ability to create dynamic components with the Pro version was an added plus for the kitchen/cabinet design part of my business, but was not considered in the justification for expenditure to upgrade from free to Pro, which was based _solely_ on import/export/presentation capabilities in the Pro version.
AAMOF, *ALL* the modeling work in the current construction project was done with the free version, the Layout program used only to import, layout, and print the actual construction documents.
Once again, as far as the drawing of 3D/2D models, there is NO functional difference in the Pro and free versions of SU.
http://sketchup.google.com/product/whygopro.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Not to pick nits or anything. but there is one primary difference that I am interested in. And that would be the "drawing" abilities of Layout included in the Pro version. It doesn't affect what you are doing though.
What it does is take that drawing produced in the free version and turns it into a sketch. You have your choice of many different mediums. Pencil, chalk, marker, technical pen, pen and ink, etc. This humanizes the drawing and makes for a better presentation for certain audiences. I know, it is a presentation thing. It can even be argued that is sort of an artsy fartsy kinda thing.
But for certain audiences, it will get the deal where the more technical drawings will not. And that is the sort of thing I need to do. These kinds of tools used to be quite common. I have used them before. Then they got bought up and became part of big, expensive graphics packages. It will be worth $500 to me for this capability alone.
Besides I used to do my drawings with a T square and triangle. And I sketch constantly on graph paper. The Layout module is a nice touchy feely thing that breaks down communication barriers for certain audiences. It will help secure funding for a couple hard sell projects.
I know that this is NOT what you were talking about Swingman. I just thought I would contribute this comment. Primarily because of all this discussion, I am looking at Sketchup more closely now. And this Layout functions looks like a winner to me.
I am really curious as to why google included this feature. I haven't seen it for awhile. It is good to see it back.
NOT trying to stir the pot or anything. ;-)
<stir, stir>

Actually you can do that with the free version which does not include Layout. You take a drawing and choose a different Style.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

You are talking about "Style Builder", not "Layout":
http://sketchup.google.com/product/stylebuilder.html
It indeed is a standalone "program" included with the Pro version that allows you to create custom styles than can be **applied to** a model drawn in the base program (actually removes detail from a drawing to give it a customized "sketchy edge" ).
You're correct, it is not something I've much need for as a woodworker or builder. Style Builder no way alters the statement made above as to functional difference in the drawing of 3D/2D models.
It is important for users to understand that the tools for the actual drawing/modeling are the same in both versions. The difference being in Export, Import and Presentation capabilities.
Once again and simply put, and for all practical purposes, if you do not need these added capabilities which have nothing to do with the actual drawing of models themselves, you do NOT need the Pro version.
Look at the chart carefully ...
http://sketchup.google.com/product/whygopro.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Looking at that, I noticed the price is $495, not $600 as I have been saying.
Also, the free SU allows you to Import 3D models and 2D graphics in many formats (DWG, DXF, 3DS, DEM, DDF and a range of image formats) I have no clue what any of those are, but didn't know you could import anything other than standard graphics like jpg's. I've imported jpg's in an effort to figure out how to design something from a photo, but never got very far. Tutorial looks OK but a little out there for my current interest level.
Also, not particularly clear is that SUfree can export a jpg of whatever you are designing/building. If you wanted to do a chalk drawing, or other artsy/fartsy stuff someone mentioned, you could use your favorite graphics program to do whatever to the exported jpg, assuming you have a fancy graphics program.
--
Jack
snip

At least one of them is a CAD program format, AutoCAD, DWG.

If you down load and install Bullzip PDF you can export/print in BPM, ESP, JPEG, PCX, PDF, PNG and TIFF formats. The program is free and you can down load it from here, http://www.bullzip.com / Even if you don't use it for Sketchup it is worth installing and using. It installs as an extra printer and when you choose print if you select the Bullzip PDF printer as the printer to create a file in the above mentioned formats.
"Leon" wrote

Great little utility program! Actually, I like Bullzip better than SketchUp. :)
Since you turned me onto it a couple of months back I use it many times daily. All the individual construction files, bids, invoices, plans, inspection sheets, insurance certs, etc, are all scanned into pdf files and stored on the "cloud" for safe keeping offsite. BullZip allows me to do the same with stuff generated in house without having to print it first.
Adobe was always too proud of their software for my budget.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

What are they? They're CAD model and 3d data files. DWG are AutoCAD drawings; DXF are AutoCAD's interchange files; 3DS are StudioMax 3d models, a graphics and animation package. ...
Here's an example of what SU did with a relatively compact and efficient 3ds file:
11/30/2001 12:07 AM 1,940,906 f5e_05.3ds 03/09/2009 03:07 PM 22,902,677 f5e_05_3ds.skp
It started as a fully built out model of a Northrop F-5E, with working gear and control surfaces. Imported into SU, it's a static surface model, bloated to 20 times its original size and minus its camouflage textures.

IOW:
The interface with the real world and the ability to create 'pretty pictures' makes SUPro look like a good deal then. The Freebee completely useless..................to me.
Now was that so hard?
<g.d &r>
Robatoy wrote:

Not particularly hard, just a far cry from:
> Opens doors. That's all it does? or

or
All of these statements are very misleading at best, total bullshit at worse. I'd call you RoboTroll rather than RoboCop, but I think you actually believe the stuff you say, unlike a "real" troll.
--
Jack