SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

Page 3 of 3
"Jack Stein" wrote

That probably because you "exploded" the model (broke the base cabinet itself into its sub-components). It is the base cabinet itself, as a single component, that is "dynamic" and responds to changes in the list box. If you "explode" past that level, it won't work.
If you double click on "DC-BaseCabinet.skp", and it is opened by SketchUp, you should not have to explode it.
Remember, "dynamic components" only work in SketchUp7.
Let me know if you are still having trouble.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Moving pictures are worth a bailout quantity of words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vJVW5X-tb8s

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...
--
Best regards
Han

I downloaded and uninstalled SU about 2 or 3 times before I finally figured out how to use it. A few on line tutorials really help get the wheels spinning. I have been using AutoCAD LT since 97 and have been using CAD programs in general since 86. I am finding that SU will pretty much do what everything that AutoCAD LT would do with a very few exceptions. The big trick for me is learning/remembering to draw components and assemble the drawing with those components. I tend to want to draw every thing in place and that does not work out real well with SU especially if you want to relocate a particular group of lines.

It helps greatly to group things into components, and sub-sub-sub-....-sub-components. (It's conveniently mapped to the 'G' key by default.) You don't have to always break things down to individual boards or sticks, but maybe start that way and find some level of granularity that's comfortable. For example, drawers or paneled doors might be comfortable as a single part, or you might prefer to work with a grouping of simple sticks. Keep some "cutters" around to cope the ends of sticks, etc. I tend to work in place also. Other 3D CAD systems formalize the relationships as parts and sub-assemblies. You should do the same. Keep the outliner and components windows open even if you have to sacrifice some screen space to do so.
"Leon" wrote

Other than the obvious advantage/ability to make one change to a "component", and have that change reflected in all copies of that component, there is an added advantage, reason to do so:
If you build the model from parts (components and groups), like you would do a woodworking project, and name them correctly, a cutlist is automatically done for you, by name, by the CutList plug-in.
Have you tried the plug-in yet? A must have, since you own CutListPlus!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL.. NO! I have not. I've been too busy building fences and ball point pens. If you are using it, or rather can you show me that function the next time we get together. ;~)

OK, here's your "tutorial":
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Holes-CurvedSurfaces.zip
:)
As I said on apbw, this is just one method to drill holes in curved surfaces. There are other ways to do this in SketchUp.
I'm still a newbie!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Not the newest of newbies, it would seem. :)
Thanks!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Swingman wrote:

Thanks! It worked for me.
I'd still like to see a way to do that common job done more simply.
Now about that threaded hole for the set screw... :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Extrude along helix. Piece of cake.
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Well said ...
Having somehow missed out on the designer gene, 3D software, along with e-books, has been one of my two biggest dreams for years.
Things I've designed in the past looked great in 2D software, and on the shop bench, but put them on the floor, or a wall, and view them from different perspectives, and I've often been disappointed in many respects.
For the first time ever I've been able to get my ideas down in 3D and view them from those perspectives which my lousy design skills can't foresee, at a reasonable cost, and without spending money and time on a steep learning curve.
I'm also making money using the program, a good deal of money, and it amazes me how little effort it took to garner that type of reward. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
For SU users, here are two more "dynamic" components for use as an aid in kitchen cabinet design using SketchUp:
A fairly standard, one drawer, one cabinet, "dynamic" Base Cabinet, with choice of user selected, or "scaled", widths; and the plywood case work for same in a separate file, sans face frame (posted in the first post in this thread).
Put on your own doors and drawer fronts. Use the case work model for adding your own face frame, or going euro.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/DC-BaseCabinet-Casework.zip
Let me know if there are any problems.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

I right clicked on the face frame and at the bottom of the pop up window was "dynamic components". Clicking on that brings up "component options". This all worked as expected. I was opening the components window, and clicking on "view options"... I'm sure you explained this before, but my attention span is decreasing day by day... Anyway, worked great. I had clicked on dynamic components and component options a number of times when perusing SU but every time it said, no options available or some such. Now I see what it is.
--
Jack